PDA

View Full Version : Calumet CC400: A few questions.

Danlovesfilm
20-Mar-2011, 19:25
Hello, I am brand new to LF photography, so new infact, that my camera is still on its way to me.:D

I have wanted a 4x5 for quite some time. Last week I finally won a Calumet CC400 on ebay. It comes with everything but a lens unfortunately.
I am wondering if anyone has any tips or knows of any quirks that this particular model has. It also comes with a shade a one film holder and one 545 polaroid back.

I am also wondering what type of pack film back will fit this camera, I intend on using peel apart till I am familiar with the format and due to the fact I already have many packs of 100 type film, plus it is cheaper than 4x5.

My final question will be the most difficult, I am wanting to shoot mostly portraits/ model based photos, my problem is that I am on a budget as far as equipment goes, what is a good lens for this style of photography when you are on a budget?The lensboard is Copal No. 0. Is there a lens that will work well for landscape and model photography?

Robert Hughes
25-Mar-2011, 10:26
Welcome, Dan. The 545 polaroid back is functionally useless nowadays, as no film is made in that size. You may wish to get some more standard 4x5 film holders, as the film stocks to fit them are still available.

Mike Anderson
25-Mar-2011, 10:33
I am also wondering what type of pack film back will fit this camera, I intend on using peel apart till I am familiar with the format and due to the fact I already have many packs of 100 type film, plus it is cheaper than 4x5.

The bail on the older grey CC-400s cannot open wide enough to insert a pack film holder. The newer black CC-400s bail opens wider and can accept a pack film holder like a Fuji PA-45 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/308996-REG/Fujifilm_14250691_PA_45_Film_Holder_for.html).

Those holders are about an inch thick, so see if you think you can insert an inch thick block in front of the ground glass.

...Mike

banjo
25-Mar-2011, 11:10
now then to a lens SO MINTY out there
BUT you only have 18" of bellows draw or 457mm BUT you can't use a 457mm lens as that is
infinty and you need more bellows draw to get closer so you can cut that 457mm in half = 228mm
then you can get a 1 to 1 BUT for portraits/ model based photos you don't need a 1 to 1 more like
3 to 1 SO lets go by 2/3 of the 457mm = a 304mm so any thing from a 200mm to a 300mm lens
would work of for this with your CC400

NOW I have been told that your 545 polaroid back can be use for readylods ! but I have never
tried it!!

Danlovesfilm
27-Mar-2011, 13:54
I am aware that the films that fit a 545 are no longer made, but if I am using "expired" polaroid( type 55 or 59) will it work with those? I really enjoy the expired look, though it is uncontrollable and unpredictable. I know I am not the only one out there though :)
Darn, I believe mine is an old grey one, thanks for the information everyone. I like the instant aspect of film because it holds something dear to many of us just old enough to remember. It is also nice to show the people that agree to model. Many of my friends never saw peel apart till I showed them.