PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Deardorff 8x10 repair

Douglas Henderson
19-Mar-2011, 11:37
I recently picked up a Deardorff 8x10 field camera on Ebay. The serial number is in to 5500's. It came out of Chicago and looks fine, but for some minor wear to the wood and some split wood where larger, non-original screws were used. The bed looks just fine. The bellows was described as light tight, but I did a light test and counted 60+ holes--nearly every bellows fold had a pinhole or a thinning that allowed light to pass. So it needs a new bellows--though I may try the elmer glue/dishsoap formula along with some buffered black photo tape just to see what happens.

Nothing about the camera suggests it can't, with some minor attention, be made into a great field 8x10. However, the focus rail slot that the rear standard slides in is noticeably wider from wear along its rear portion than the more forward parts of the whole gear track and so the rear standard can rock back and forth a little more than it perhaps should.

I've considered folding a little metal tape (or plastic tyk tape) over the flange that rides in the gear track slot--to take up some or all of the space. But I wonder if the outer geared rails on the Deardorff can just be switched to the opposite sides of the camera to provide the "pristine" gear and slot for the usual focus travel of the rear standard. Anyone done this?

There is some talk of new parts available for Deardorff cameras, if I read a current website correctly. Any chance new track parts might become available?

Doug

RichardRitter
19-Mar-2011, 12:07
Yes you can do the switch of gear rails.

New one surface from time to time but they are few. The company that made the blanks stop listing the blanks 10 years ago.

aluncrockford
19-Mar-2011, 14:40
Bellows be bought from

http://www.custombellows.co.uk/

Bits of Deardorff can be sourced from

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/LF-Deardorff-and-Sons-Inc?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Info on restoration is here

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/deardorff-8x10/

Graybeard
19-Mar-2011, 16:06
I recently picked up a Deardorff 8x10 field camera on Ebay. The serial number is in to 5500's. It came out of Chicago and looks fine, but for some minor wear to the wood and some split wood where larger, non-original screws were used. The bed looks just fine. The bellows was described as light tight, but I did a light test and counted 60+ holes--nearly every bellows fold had a pinhole or a thinning that allowed light to pass. So it needs a new bellows--though I may try the elmer glue/dishsoap formula along with some buffered black photo tape just to see what happens.

Nothing about the camera suggests it can't, with some minor attention, be made into a great field 8x10. However, the focus rail slot that the rear standard slides in is noticeably wider from wear along its rear portion than the more forward parts of the whole gear track and so the rear standard can rock back and forth a little more than it perhaps should.

I've considered folding a little metal tape (or plastic tyk tape) over the flange that rides in the gear track slot--to take up some or all of the space. But I wonder if the outer geared rails on the Deardorff can just be switched to the opposite sides of the camera to provide the "pristine" gear and slot for the usual focus travel of the rear standard. Anyone done this?

There is some talk of new parts available for Deardorff cameras, if I read a current website correctly. Any chance new track parts might become available?

Doug

For a new bellows, contact Jim Ormond at Western Bellows (in California). He did a nice job on the new bellows for my Deardorff - I went for the double taper design to allow use with wide angles.

Ron McElroy
19-Mar-2011, 19:14
You might want to contact Ken Hough. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=73367

Douglas Henderson
19-Mar-2011, 21:34
Yes, I've been touring the Deardorff related web sites and visiting the Ebay store showing remaining Deardorff parts. I picked up two new splitters (4x10 & 5X8) just the other day from there--with panoramic landscapes in mind. Sent an e-mail to Turner Bellows asking for price to replace the bellows. I'm inclined to send in the front and back standards as I'm not especially confident about attaching the bellows myself--something it seems needs to be done properly the first time. There would be some small parts to glue and clamp if the standards were away.

Doug

Daniel Stone
20-Mar-2011, 14:01
For a new bellows, contact Jim Ormond at Western Bellows (in California). He did a nice job on the new bellows for my Deardorff - I went for the double taper design to allow use with wide angles.

I second the recommendation of Jim O.. He made a replacement set of bellows for my Master View(KMV 8X10), and did the "double taper" design on mine as well. I'd love to pick up a 150XL sometime in the next year or two, so it'll come in handy. The original bellows didn't really have the "double taper" design, and were more of just a straight-taper design, which has a greater chance of vignetting with shorter lenses, or with using larger amounts of rise. This IIRC is more of his 'standard' with bellows design.

JUST MAKE SURE TO TELL HIM THAT YOU NEED THEM IN THE 2-3 WEEK RANGE. I waited til almost 4 weeks(I wasn't in a hurry mind you, I'm about 20min drive from him), but he originally quoted me 2-3 weeks work time. So, just so YOU don't have any problems, make sure to stipulate 3 weeks MAX build time. He's a nice guy, but admittedly, I think a little absent minded, since he works now out of his house.

but his workmanship is great, and the bellows work perfectly, better than I originally expected!

price wasn't too shabby either($300 + driving time from my end)

-Dan

here's some pics of my new set mounted up:

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy161/mr_danielstone/KMVbellows_1.jpg

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy161/mr_danielstone/KMVbellows_2.jpg

Brian Ellis
20-Mar-2011, 18:20
You might want to contact Ken Hough. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=73367

Before using Ken Hough I'd suggest doing a search here and other places to see how satisfied others have been. For this forum just type the last name into the advanced search function - title only - and you'll find several threads.

If I wanted a wood camera repaired I'd use Richard Ritter. I've never heard anyone say anything but good things about him and my one experience with him was excellent whereas my one experience with Ken Hough wasn't as bad as some people have had but wasn't real good either (detailed in another thread, no need to repeat).

Douglas Henderson
21-Mar-2011, 10:13
I've looked over the Deardorff bellows mounting (the rear bellows frame has screws on the outside of the back standard) and determined I could probably attach a new bellows myself. Has anyone any experience with new bellows available on Ebay from Ecbuyonline 2008 out of Hong Kong?

I also received a message from Ken Hough noting that he has been providing new(?) track rails and "shoes" for sometime.

Doug