PDA

View Full Version : Making Hypo.

robert j fallis
19-Mar-2011, 02:58
I've got some Sodium Thiosulpate crystals.... and I want to make hypo with it, I've googled it with little sucess. does anyone have a link to a page?
or tell my how to do it in simple term's? I'm going to use it with the coffee developer.

thanks
bob

archer
19-Mar-2011, 03:43
Dear Bob;
Google APUG and when at the site go to the articles section at the top of the page. It'll take you to the recipe section where you will find many fixer formulas.
Denise Libby

Phil
19-Mar-2011, 05:36
A formula for paper fixer is near the bottom of this page:

http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/Azo_Formulas.html

Doremus Scudder
19-Mar-2011, 05:48
Some recipes for basic fixers using sodium thiosulfate:

Plain Fix
(from www.heylloyd.com)
Water 80°F (125°F) 750 ml
Sodium thiosulfate 160 g anhydrous or 240g pentahydrate
Sodium sulfite anhydrous 30g (60g if storage is anticipated)
Water (cool) to make 1 liter

Use undiluted. CAPACITY: 25 8x10 prints, or equivalent per liter, less for tabular grain films. Lasts about 2 months in a closed, completely filled container.

Kodak Fixing Bath F-5
For Films, Plates, and Papers

In warm weather and in inadequately ventilated darkrooms the odor of sulfur dioxide given off by the Kodak Fixing Bath F-5 may be objectionable. This can be eliminated almost entirely by omitting the boric acid and subsituting twice its weight in Kodalk. This modification is know as Kodak Fixing Bath F-6.

Water, about 50 Celsius (125° F.) 600 ml
Sodium Thiosulfate Hypo) 240.0 g
Sodium Sulfite, desiccated 15.0 g
* Acetic Acid, 28% 48.0 ml
** Boric Acid, crystals 7.5 g
Potassium Alum 15.0 g
Cold water to make 1 liter

* To make approximately 28% acetic acid from glacial acetic acid, dilute three parts of glacial acetic acid with eight parts of water.
**Crystalline boric acid should be used as specified. Powdered boric acid dissolves only with great difficulty, and its use should be avoided.
Films or plates should be fixed properly in 10 to 20 minutes in a freshly prepared bath. The bath need not be discarded until the fixing time becomes excessive, that is, over 20 minutes. Fix prints 5 to 10 minutes.

Kodak Fixing Bath F-6
Odorless Bath for Films, Plates, and Papers
Water, about 50 Celsius (125° F.) 600 ml
Sodium Thiosulfate (Hypo) 240 g
Sodium Sulfite, desiccated 15 g
* Acetic Acid, 28% 48 ml
Kodalk 15 g
Potassium Alum 15 g
Cold water to make 1 liter

* To make approximately 28% acetic acid from glacial acetic acid, dilute three parts of glacial acetic acid with eight parts of water.
Dissolve chemicals in order given. To prevent sulfurization, mix the potassium alum separately in a small amount of hot water then add this last with rapid stirring.
This bath should be used in conjunction with a stop bath such as Kodak Stop Bath SB-1 or Kodak Stop Bath SB-1a, or an acid hardening bath such as Kodak Hardening Bath SB-3 to obtain the full useful hardening life. The hardening life (capacity) is equal to that of Kodak Fixing Bath F-5 provided an acid stop bath is used. With a water rinse the life is about one-half that of Kodak Fixing Bath F-5.

Have fun,

Doremus Scudder

tgtaylor
19-Mar-2011, 07:35
Kodak F-24 - a nonhardening acid fixer:

Water at 125F (52C), 500.0 mL
Sodium Thiosulfate, 240.0 gm
Sodium Sulfate, 10.0 gm
Sodium Bisulfate, 25.0 gm
Water to make 1 Liter.

TF-2, an alkaline fixer:

Water, 750.0 mL
Sodium Thiosulfate, 250.0 gm
Sodium Sulfite, 15.0 gm
sodium Metaborate, 10.0 gm
Water to make 1 Liter.

Graybeard
19-Mar-2011, 08:24
I've got some Sodium Thiosulpate crystals.... and I want to make hypo with it, I've googled it with little sucess. does anyone have a link to a page?
or tell my how to do it in simple term's? I'm going to use it with the coffee developer.

thanks
bob

If you're processing film with coffee, you'll probably need one hardening fixesr listed by the other contributors. For paper, the alkaline fixers are fine and will wash out more readily.

robert j fallis
20-Mar-2011, 02:12
thanks everyone I now know a lot about fixer, I shall proceed with care
regards
bob

eddie
20-Mar-2011, 02:37
i make a 15-20% mix. i use the penta crystals. use it "one shot". i dump it after my run of 12 sheets of 4x5. for paper i use two baths. i dump the 1st bath. move the second to the 1st place and make another 2nd bath.