PDA

View Full Version : Filter for Imagon

Two23
18-Mar-2011, 11:57
I gave in to temptation last week and bought the 250mm Imagon from the guy in Japan on eBay. Paid $470, which seemed like a good price for the thing. It's in great shape. Now to just figure it out! The only thing missing was the 4x ND filter. I don't suppose there's any chance I can simply order one from Rodenstock, is there? The diameter seems to be 52mm. Maybe I could just cobble one in there somehow. I'm sure I'll have more questions about it. I've been reading what I can find and have figured out about half of it, and managed to assemble and mount it on my Shen Hao. Copal 3 shutter is rather impressive!

I'm not a portrait guy, and got the lens to shoot landscapes and abandoned farmhouse interiors. Will also shoot a few trains with it, LOL. Hope it will work for that. Looks like there is a learning curve here.

One other quick question: do all Imagons glow in the dark, or is it just this one? :D

Kent in SD

Mark Woods
18-Mar-2011, 12:04
Hello Kent, you should be able to get filters from Tiffen, B&H, and other places. Samys Camera is selling used ones that are in great shape for $8 right now. Congratulations!

Bob Salomon
18-Mar-2011, 12:24
Kent,

The Imagon filters were made by Heliopan for Rodenstock. While Heliopan use to sell some Imagon filters they have been out of the factory price list for a long time. Same with Rodenstock. They no longer list Imagon or Imagon parts or accessories. As these were an Imagon specific push-in mount and not a slip-on, screw-in or drop-in filter mount you will not find them from any other filter manufacturer. You could jury rig and tape one to your disk and if you wanted the same quality as the original then you could order a Heliopan that you could rig.
I just tried various sized filters on one of the 300mm Imagon disks that we still have in stock and a 58mm Heliopan filter mounted female side against the disk could be used. It is a little loose but it would fit flat and could be taped to the disk.

Two23
19-Mar-2011, 06:39
Thanks for the answers. This is what I like about this forum--quick answers from people who know! I'll likely just tape the coated ND filters I already have to the rear of the lens when needed. My first thought is to try using ISO 25 film when needed.

Kent in SD

Bob Salomon
19-Mar-2011, 07:30
Thanks for the answers. This is what I like about this forum--quick answers from people who know! I'll likely just tape the coated ND filters I already have to the rear of the lens when needed. My first thought is to try using ISO 25 film when needed.

Kent in SD

To the front. Why start playing with the performance by going to the back? That will help to defeat the Imagon effect.