PDA

View Full Version : Chesapeake Virginia

rguinter
18-Mar-2011, 09:50
Greetings:

Anyone have suggestions for nice (after work hours) photo opportunities in the Chesapeake Virginia area?

I will be visiting one of our sister terminals there the week after next. And with a company car I'll be able to bring just about all my photo equipment.

I'm fond of city-scape vistas at sunset but open to all interesting suggestions.

Thanks to anyone with comments.

Cheers. Bob G.

Heroique
18-Mar-2011, 13:12
Bob,

I’d be tempted to take the scenic toll bridge (Virginia Beach to Cape Charles) and explore the lonelier, Eastern side of the Bay. Sure, you’d leave the cities behind, but in the evening, you can look back across the Bay at sunsets (from, say, Kiptopeke State Park (http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/kip.shtml), or a little further North, from the city of Cape Charles.)

Below is the bridge starting at Virginia Beach…

rguinter
18-Mar-2011, 13:33
Thanks Heroique.

Kiptopeke State Park sounds nice.

I will check the logistics and see if it will work.

Our terminal is on the Western shore of the Elizabeth River (South Branch).

So probably an hour or so radius after work hours will be feasible.

And tentatively thinking to do a day in D.C. on the way back. Cherry blossoms will be out I expect but (unfortunately) so will the crowds.

Bob G.

ardrigh84
28-Mar-2011, 21:05
I know it's at the outer limit of your radius (or well-outside, depending on traffic), but I've always been partial to my hometown: Williamsburg. CW -- the Colonial bit -- would definitely offer a different sort of cityscape. Planning regulations mean that modern structures won't be cluttering the background of your image either.

I also second the Eastern Shore suggestion -- it's a lovely area.

As for D.C. -- my brother lives there and was complaining about the crowds this past weekend, but I think the festival will be over by the time you're headed there. So you may actually have the blossoms to yourself (comparatively speaking, of course).

Keith S. Walklet
28-Mar-2011, 22:12
Bump W-burg... also my home town.

Some interesting architecture in Suffolk, peanut capitol of the world.

And if you can spend a night, the property that used to be an OMNI (I think it is a Sheraton) in Norfolk has stunning harbor views.

christopher walrath
29-Mar-2011, 17:58
Geez, Delmarva destinations. Hmm, lemme think. Blackwater NWR near Easton. Town of Oxford. Cape Henlopen State Park in Lewes, DE. Prime Hook NWR east of Milton. Assateague and Chincoteague (the first a MD state park, the second a Nat'l park in VA). Wallops Island. There's no end to photographic possibilities in the land I call home.