PDA

View Full Version : How to remove geared head from Gitzo Systematic?

feppe
18-Mar-2011, 05:38
I just received a used Gitzo GT5540LS tripod which didn't come with manuals. I already dropped a mail to Gitzo UK to ask if they have manuals for older models.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the geared head assembly? It works fine, but I can't find a way to remove it altogether to save on weight. There are plenty of tools and plates with the tripod, but no apparent way to unscrew a bolt to remove the assembly.

The tripod is so heavy and strong that it feels like overkill even for a Gowlandflex :D

feppe
18-Mar-2011, 09:12
That was quick, received a scanned reference sheet from Gitzo/Manfrotto customer service which answers the question. A retaining bolt on the side of the tripod has to be loosened which allows one to remove the assembly.

Great customer service!

Ash
18-Mar-2011, 11:41
Awesome. So Gitzo are as good as Hasselblad's customer service? Once I emailed 'blad about a 80's SWC I needed a manual for. They sent it within 24 hours.

feppe
18-Mar-2011, 12:03
Awesome. So Gitzo are as good as Hasselblad's customer service? Once I emailed 'blad about a 80's SWC I needed a manual for. They sent it within 24 hours.

In my experience products priced at a premium have better after-sales support, which partly justifies higher prices even if the product itself is only marginally better quality.

Ash
18-Mar-2011, 12:28
Very true

Ari
18-Mar-2011, 12:49
Or you could have tried something like this:

http://i56.tinypic.com/k9dr35.jpg

feppe
19-Mar-2011, 09:23
Don't think I have the coordination to operate a drill and a hammer at the same time...