PDA

View Full Version : Info on Lens-E.Suter Basel Aplanat A No 4

northcarolinajack
18-Mar-2011, 03:58
NEEDED INFO ON LENS BY E. SUTER, BASEL

I found, at a reasonable price, an old brass lens that covers 8x10, but have NO information about this lens. The glass is like new and the marking are as follows:
E. Suter Basel
# 7321
Aplanat A No 4

The lens covers my 8x10 without problems and seems to be about 250mm length with an f stop of 2. It has waterhouse stops from f 2.8 to f128. I have shot it once and it seems to be very sharp. I think it is a pretzel design, but not sure.
I would like to know more about this old lens in pristine brass lens.
Hope someone will be able to help.
The photograph made with this lens is attached.

Jack

eddie
18-Mar-2011, 04:14
Aplanat A No 4

Jack

as it says on the lens it is an aplanat design. two cemented pieces of glass in the front and rear. the A series is f6. the B is f8.

i was collecting the entire b series as they were cheap and no one was paying much for them....but i see them working their way to being noticed.

you can also use just the rear element to make images. try it.

Steven Tribe
18-Mar-2011, 04:15
Not a petzval - but as it says an aplanat/RR.
I have exactly the same lens. Series A is the Rapid version - but not modern F.2!!
There are a good deal of useful threads here on the excellent Suter aplanats.
Eddie has a lot.

Steven Tribe
18-Mar-2011, 04:29
Suter did make a few Portrait Petzvals (and labelled Portrait) and even Landscape meniscus lenses. But I doubt you will come across any of these! Aplanats were a big seller along with his 4 glass copy of the Dagor.

eddie
18-Mar-2011, 04:30
Eddie has a lot.

yup. i had a 35 inch focal length one for a while (#9) .......sold it. but i just got another small B series #3 yesterday.....:)

l-r
#8 (25 inch), #6 (19 inch), #3 (10 inch i think)

eddie
18-Mar-2011, 04:34
Suter did make a few Portrait Petzvals (and labelled Portrait) and even Landscape meniscus lenses. But I doubt you will come across any of these! Aplanats were a big seller along with his 4 glass copy of the Dagor.

yup. i had three suter petzval lenses. hard to tell that they are petzvals unless you have them in your hand.....too easy to be lead on the wrong path with pictures on e bay.

petzvals

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=65192&highlight=suter

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=64052&highlight=suter

another aplanat.

http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=972974

northcarolinajack
18-Mar-2011, 04:35
:)
as it says on the lens it is an aplanat design. two cemented pieces of glass in the front and rear. the A series is f6. the B is f8.

i was collecting the entire b series as they were cheap and no one was paying much for them....but i see them working their way to being noticed.

you can also use just the rear element to make images. try it.

:) THANKS!!

Jack

Steven Tribe
18-Mar-2011, 04:37
Sorry I couldn't resist this.
This is what a Suter "I think it is a pretzel design, but not sure " pretzel should look like.
Foregive me please.

northcarolinajack
18-Mar-2011, 04:52
This is what a Suter "I think it is a pretzel design, but not sure " pretzel should look like.
Foregive me please.

:) That is fine, my humor is a little twisted as well.

Jack

Marko Trebusak
21-Mar-2011, 02:45
Foregive me please.

Ah, yes. It's quite close actually (in German this is called "die Brezel"). So, Steve Petzval with salz? :D

Cheers,
Marko