PDA

View Full Version : EBay listing of Ebony SV45U

reallifenow
17-Mar-2011, 22:37
I found a listing on EBay for a brand-new, in the box Ebony SV45U today. I bid on the camera and got a confirmation back via email. Later, I checked the listing and was going to increase my bid. I was very surprised to find the camera was withdrawn. EBay selling policy states that an item may be withdrawn if there are no confirmed bids. However, EBay allows an item to be withdrawn after a bid is confirmed but only after the highest bidder is contacted and given the opportunity to complete the purchase. In violation of EBay policy, I was never contacted and given the opportunity to complete the purchase. Then, I found the exact same camera, including the photos, offered up for sale on EBay as item #: 200487115284, by Bruce's Field Camera Store. Check it out for yourself. I have filed a complaint with EBay and will keep the forum informed of the resolution of my complaint.

reallifenow
17-Mar-2011, 22:39
I found a listing on EBay for a brand-new, in the box Ebony SV45U today. I bid on the camera and got a confirmation back via email. Later, I checked the listing and was going to increase my bid. I was very surprised to find the camera was withdrawn. EBay selling policy states that an item may be withdrawn if there are no confirmed bids. However, EBay allows an item to be withdrawn after a bid is confirmed but only after the highest bidder is contacted and given the opportunity to complete the purchase. In violation of EBay policy, I was never contacted and given the opportunity to complete the purchase. Then, I found the exact same camera, including the photos, offered up for sale on EBay as item #: 200487115284, by Bruce's Field Camera Store. Check it out for yourself. I have filed a complaint with EBay and will keep the forum informed of the resolution of my complaint.

It appears that the original seller violated the rules and pulled the item after my bid was confirmed and then negotiated a transfer to the new seller without paying EBay fees. I would be hesitant to get involved with this item until the issue is resolved. Buyer Beware!!

reallifenow
17-Mar-2011, 22:57
It appears that the original seller violated the rules and pulled the item after my bid was confirmed and then negotiated a transfer to the new seller without paying EBay fees. I would be hesitant to get involved with this item until the issue is resolved. Buyer Beware!!
The original seller was listed as 'ratsass42' and appeared to be from Austin, TX. The original listing was number: 190512975552.

reallifenow
18-Mar-2011, 08:48
I got a message from Bruce Field Camera that he has had the camera in question all along. It is a 'buy it now' offer and has been up on EBay prior to the listing I bid on. So it looks like 'ratsass42' copied Bruce Field Camera's photos to generate a fraudulent listing. Bruce Field Camera reported the copying of the photos to EBay as well.

I'm still waiting for an explanation from EBay.

Steven Tribe
18-Mar-2011, 09:46
I looked at "ratsass" (!) and there was no indication that he sells in this category regularly. There is no sign of the listing anywhere now.
Bruce Field Camera doesn't have this as a previous listing (last 3 months?) but looks regular enough.

photobymike
18-Mar-2011, 10:40
I looked at "ratsass" (!) and there was no indication that he sells in this category regularly. There is no sign of the listing anywhere now.
Bruce Field Camera doesn't have this as a previous listing (last 3 months?) but looks regular enough.

I also researched this item. i also found no evidence of ratsass42 selling or listing this camera. As a seller i have canceled bidding on an item, and withdraw the listing 30 hours before the end. Its no big deal to cancel bids, its not against ebay policy to end your item early. I have years of experience on ebay with a 635 100% positive feedback

Jeff Keller
18-Mar-2011, 16:22
I think I saw the original listing. It stated that you had to email the seller before placing a bid ... typical of a suspect auction. Probably ebay shut down the auction.

Bruce Field Cameras has been selling Ebony cameras for years. I haven't bought anything from them yet but they seem completely honest.

Jeff Keller

reallifenow
18-Mar-2011, 21:00
I also researched this item. i also found no evidence of ratsass42 selling or listing this camera. As a seller I have canceled bidding on an item, and withdraw the listing 30 hours before the end. Its no big deal to cancel bids, its not against ebay policy to end your item early. I have years of experience on ebay with a 635 100% positive feedback

When EBay took the listing down, they removed access to the original listing so that is why you guys haven't been able to find it. Fortunately I had kept a paper trail. Official EBay policy states that a seller may remove a listing for auction anytime up until the deadline without limitations UNLESS there has been a confirmed bid. Once the item has a confirmed bid, the seller can no longer simply cancel the sale at his will. The seller is locked in at that point. If the seller wants to cancel the sale after a confirmed bid, the seller must contact the buyer with the confirmed bid and offer the item to the confirmed bidder at the confirmed price. I think I mentioned this in my OP. That EBay policy was violated in this instance. I had a confirmed bid and was never contacted. I was unable to exercise my right to purchase the item before the listing was removed. There was a two hour time period between the time I received confirmation of my bid and the item was removed. That is why I was so p**sed off.

This exact same scenario happened to me before a few years ago, too. EBay weasels out of these violations by making it extremely difficult to get a satisfactory answer. As a buyer I have virtually zero rights since the purchase was never completed. On the other hand, EBay is shorting itself of the sales commission. I guess they calculate that they can't get money out of a rock so they don't pursue it. I have been an EBay seller and buyer for years and have read the fine print many times......

The other 'victim' of these scams is the person who put up the photos that were copied into the fraudulent listing. In this case, that would be Bruce's Field Cameras. I contacted them (him) and they filed a complaint with EBay also. I doubt he will ever hear anything back from EBay since the photos were rather generic.

FWIW, a few years ago I bought a red folding sea kayak from a retired cop in Florida off EBay. He included quite a few photos that showed the scuff marks and clearly identified that specific sea kayak. He shipped it to me and all was good. A few weeks later the exact same photos appeared in a similar EBay listing. I emailed EBay sent them copies of the original listing showing the scuff marks, the cops back yard, etc. and they would do nothing to take the listing down. I even bid a thousand dollars on it just to get some legitimate standing. They still wouldn't take it down. I was finally able to get in touch with the retired cop and he filed a complaint with EBay and they took it down after that. Then, to my amazement, the photos appeared with a new listing a third time. EBay still wouldn't listen to my complaint. It took several more letters from the retired cop before EBay finally banned the fraudulent seller. By then the story was posted all over the sea kayaking forums and that kayak is now known throughout the Puget Sound area as the 'Red Flying Dutchman' kayak. I still have it...

PhotobyMIke, when you said you have cancelled bidding on an item you listed for sale, I assume you mean you cancelled the listing before you had confirmed bids. The bidding comes from the buyers, not the seller. I never said or implied that it was against EBay policy to cancel a listing early. I hope my explanation is clear. For more clarity you'll have to work yur way through the EBay selling policies on their website. ;)

Now for the Happy Ending.....I was previously unaware of Bruce's Field Cameras. When I got a couple of messages back from him this morning I went on his site and just a few minutes ago I bought the used SV45U2 he had listed. I never would have known about this camera if the SV45U bid hadn't fallen through...:D

reallifenow
18-Mar-2011, 21:05
I think I saw the original listing. It stated that you had to email the seller before placing a bid ... typical of a suspect auction. Probably ebay shut down the auction.

Bruce Field Cameras has been selling Ebony cameras for years. I haven't bought anything from them yet but they seem completely honest.

Jeff Keller

The listing I bid on didn't say anything about emailing the seller. You are right about a line like that being an instant warning sign.

Jack Dahlgren
19-Mar-2011, 02:12
When EBay took the listing down, they removed access to the original listing so that is why you guys haven't been able to find it. Fortunately I had kept a paper trail. Official EBay policy states that a seller may remove a listing for auction anytime up until the deadline without limitations UNLESS there has been a confirmed bid. Once the item has a confirmed bid, the seller can no longer simply cancel the sale at his will. The seller is locked in at that point. If the seller wants to cancel the sale after a confirmed bid, the seller must contact the buyer with the confirmed bid and offer the item to the confirmed bidder at the confirmed price. I think I mentioned this in my OP. That EBay policy was violated in this instance. I had a confirmed bid and was never contacted. I was unable to exercise my right to purchase the item before the listing was removed. There was a two hour time period between the time I received confirmation of my bid and the item was removed. That is why I was so p**sed off.

You seem to be operating under the assumption that Ratsass actually had the item for sale. You should be glad the auction was removed and that you didn't exercise your right to be ripped off.

resummerfield
19-Mar-2011, 13:21
.....You should be glad the auction was removed and that you didn't exercise your right to be ripped off.

+1

reallifenow
19-Mar-2011, 17:18
I m very happy the item was pulled before I sent the cash via paypal but don't you guys agree that eBay should have a better way of detecting fraudulent big ticket items?

Jack Dahlgren
19-Mar-2011, 17:24
I m very happy the item was pulled before I sent the cash via paypal but don't you guys agree that eBay should have a better way of detecting fraudulent big ticket items?

They detected it apparently. Could it be better? Maybe. But they are just a market place.

reallifenow
20-Mar-2011, 23:56
Here is the EBay message informing me that the item was delisted. Does this sound like they will penalize or restrict the seller in the future? That is why I say, regarding EBay: Buyer Beware!

"Thank you for your interest in this listing:

190512975552 - NEW EBONY SV45U FOLDING LARGE FORMAT FIELD CAMERA

Unfortunately, the listing is no longer available. We can assure you that this wasn't the seller's fault in any way so, if the seller relists the item, we hope you'll consider buying it.

In the meantime, we have other great deals on eBay. Visit www.ebay.com to continue your shopping today."

Discoman
22-Mar-2011, 22:04
The original seller was listed as 'ratsass42' and appeared to be from Austin, TX. The original listing was number: 190512975552.

seems to be an appropriate name for the seller.

great fun when you think you found something on epray and it turns out to be copied?
i fell for the hasselblad with a $5.00 opening bid. no chance of winning a $20.01 hassey:D , but hey, pulled listing.

i offer sympathies for what happened.