PDA

View Full Version : Southern Utah or Lone Pine/Yosemite in September/October?

Richard K.
17-Mar-2011, 12:38
Thinking of going out West again this fall siince I wasn't there for half the time I was there last month due to flu. I take it both locales are equally nice and promising that time of year and it's just up to me and my muses musings? I WILL have my brand new 10x12 I hope!:D

Ed Kelsey
17-Mar-2011, 13:11
I'd pick southern Utah no matter what the season. Stay in Kanab and you are close to the Grand Canyon north rim, Zion, Bryce and the Grand Staircase.

John Jarosz
17-Mar-2011, 14:19
I've done southeast Utah and it's really wild and remote. Highway 395 is one of my favorite stretches of road anywhere. That's a very tough choice.

It may come down to weather and what the possibilities are for really rough weather along 395 that time of year.

You do need to see Mono Lake if you haven't.

I'll give you the ending line to "Trading Places": "Why not do both?"

John

Jim Becia
17-Mar-2011, 14:25
Thinking of going out West again this fall siince I wasn't there for half the time I was there last month due to flu. I take it both locales are equally nice and promising that time of year and it's just up to me and my muses musings? I WILL have my brand new 10x12 I hope!:D

Richard,

If I were going to pick a time to be in southern Utah, I would go the end of October and beginning of November. First, in terms of weather, it is generally perfect, not too cool and not too hot. And in terms of color, (at least in Zion and a few other areas around there) that is a nice time for fall color. The higher elevations in Zion (the east side) generally start turning early to mid Oct. Same for the Kolob Area off of I-15. The main canyon starts "generally" around the beginning of November. Also, the tram shuts down around Nov. 1st and lugging large format equipment on and off the tram is a pain (not knocking the tram, but hauling large format equipment on them is no fun.) Of course, there's quite a bit to see and photograph in southern Utah - the Escalante region, Bryce, Cedar Breaks, Yellow Rock, White Hoodoos, Lake Powell, slot canyons, just to name a few. You have a tough decision, Yosemite or southern Utah. Either way you can't go wrong. Jim

Drew Wiley
17-Mar-2011, 14:26
Nice dilemma to have. Hwy 395 is generally very mild and sometimes even hot, though
you might be blessed with a dusting of snow up on the peaks. Aspen vary from year
to year and depending upon elevation. Some of the side roads go quite a bit higher
and are generally open, plus you can alway dayhike (or backpack if you are properly
equipped for the seaon). Yosemite Valley is much lower elevation, so nowhere near
peak color in Oct. Utah is at its color prime in Oct and Nov, but again dependent upon
altitude and exact area for what kinds of vegetation has turned. Flash floods tend to
quiet down in Nov, but are still are real possibility in Oct in narrow canyons.

civich
17-Mar-2011, 17:51
Richard,
There are many classic locales around Lonepine but I've only been there once and will pass on the suggestion of the ranger at the national forest back country office: take the road out to the town dump (actually a transfer station) at dawn for an expansive view of the eastern sierra nevada front.
-Chris

Ivan J. Eberle
17-Mar-2011, 19:03
Late October and early November for Utah, Early to mid-Oct for the Sierra, usually afford the best fall color.
September, I find, can be quite a bit too early for both places, typically, ever since global warming started pushing back the seasons ~25 years ago. Nowadays peak color is easily 2 to 2-1/2 weeks later than when I was a kid, back East. Hell's bells, September is now too early for Yellowstone, some years! It was snowing and sticking by Labor Day in Glacier, last Summer, however...

September and October can be also be downright hot on in the valley floors, either CA or UT, you may also want to note (110+˚F kind of hot).

Preston
17-Mar-2011, 19:39
I agree that early to mid-October is best for the Sierra East Side. Been rained/snowed on the last three years in the Mono Basin in early October, though. I've seen 90+˚F at the Lone Pine end of Owens Valley in mid to late September. Early to mid-November for Yosemite Valley Autumn color.

--P

Sirius Glass
22-Mar-2011, 16:13
All three are good that time of year. Enjoy!

Steve

Vaughn
22-Mar-2011, 16:19
The obvious answer...the Redwoods...

Ah yes, harvest time in the redwoods..hardworking young farmers, busy with their little scissors...

Jim Fitzgerald
22-Mar-2011, 16:24
Vaughn, I'm thinking of an October trip you way. I will bring all of the boys this time! 8x10,11x14,14x17 and 8x20. You know where I can shoot right off the road?

Vaughn
22-Mar-2011, 16:29
Vaughn, I'm thinking of an October trip you way. I will bring all of the boys this time! 8x10,11x14,14x17 and 8x20. You know where I can shoot right off the road?

A place or two...LOL! Of course I can not promise you the weather we had on your last visit in October, but we'll see!

My three boys (they'll be 14.5 years old by then!) might be able to be pressed into carrying equipment...for a small fee. LOL! With a kick back to old Dad, of course!

Jim Fitzgerald
22-Mar-2011, 16:52
That will work for me!

Jim Ewins
22-Mar-2011, 20:34
If 395 on the eastern sierras, yes Mono Lake, but also the Bristle Cone Pine forest in the White Mountains and Bodie Ghost Town. Check for snow as it will be closing the roads to both as well as Tioga Pass into Yosemite. One cannot chose between So Utah and the eastern Sierra do them both. So Utah before mother's day and well after Labor day - otherwise it is too hot.