PDA

View Full Version : 4x10 panoramic camers

Panoman617
17-Mar-2011, 11:04
I'm new here on LF and ben looking for some info on 4x10 camers. Just not finding what I was looking for so I thought I'd ask.
I shoot a Fuji 6x17 with a fixed 105 mm lens. I'm looking at getting a 4x10 camera. I'm kinda looking at a Canham 4x10 camera. Its ben a long time cents I shoot any LF. Use to run a Brown 24x36 camera at a print shop shooting line halftones and color seps. I'm looking for something I can shoot distant landscapes with. I picked up some lens.
Schneider 1:5.5 360mm Tele-Arton
Schneider 1:5.5 270mm Tele-Arton
Schneider 1:5.6 90mm Super-Angulon
I know I'm putting the cart ben for the horse but I got a good deal on them.
How well will these work for what I like to do?
Also is the Canham film holder hold 1 or 2 sheets of film. What trypod and head would work well with this set up. Going to be hikeing around with it.

Thanks

Ed Kelsey
17-Mar-2011, 11:35
I don't think these lenses will even cover 4x10. You need a 273mm image circle and that would barely cover with no movements.

I'd look at APO Symmars or maybe Nikkor M.

vinny
17-Mar-2011, 11:36
The 90mm won't cover 4x10. I'm not sure about he others. Often tele lenses don't cover nearly the area that others do.
Two sheets on nearly all film holders.
I shoot 4x10 using a splitter board on my 8x10.
I like my 210mm, 305, and 450mm the most. Do some research before you buy anything else. There's little reason to buy brand new gear in this day and age. So much used stuff for pennies.

E. von Hoegh
17-Mar-2011, 13:59
AFIK the two Tele Artons are 4x5 lenses, I have a 270 that allows NO movements to speak of, I think the 360 is the same coverage. Not to mention the telephoto headaches...

I shoot 4x10 sometimes, using an 8x10 and dividers. I like the 210 and 240 lenses.

Lachlan 717
17-Mar-2011, 14:04
The 360 might cover 5x7, but it will not cover 4x10.

Gem Singer
17-Mar-2011, 14:33
To answer your second question:

Canham 4x10 film holders are double sided- hold two sheets of film.

Look for a light weight carbon fiber tripod and a light weight magnesium 3-way pan head.

Lachlan 717
17-Mar-2011, 15:35
Given you have these lenses, why not get a new 6x17 camera that allows different lenses?

EdWorkman
17-Mar-2011, 15:58
Hey vinny
you said "splitter board on 8x10"
Is that on the camera back-as opposed to modified darkslides on the filmholder.
Not long ago soomething on the back of a Deardorf was mentioned in this regard
Would you please tell us more-
I have shot a Fuji6x7 for a long time and am often disappointed in the fixed lens length, so I figured my most economical remedy would be to use my 8x10 & lenses. "Blanking" half the back at a time sounds like a great idea [as opposed to the darkslide thing=confused me]

Kevin Crisp
17-Mar-2011, 16:25
Many models of the Deardorff have wooden inserts that go into a track in the back and block off half the sheet of film (and half the view on the ground glass) in both vertical and horizontal orientations. (2 different splitters.) The do work, and you can get two panoramic-shaped photos per sheet of film on 5X7 or 8x10. You just use regular sheet film holders.

This works, though there are a few obvious inconveniences, the main two being:

1. You have to raise or lower the lens to get it centered on the half of the sheet of film you are exposing when using a vertical splitter. This means on every exposure you make you aren't really working anywhere in the middle of your image circle. With a vertical splitter you'd be shifting the front or back.

2. You better keep good notes so you know that the second time you use that same sheet of film, you are framing and exposing the half you blanked off last time. Alternatively, you could shoot one 4X10 per sheet, but then you are wasting film and could just as easily pencil in a 4X10 in the middle of your ground glass and shoot the full 8x10 sheet.

Personally, I have the Canham 4X10 and I've been very happy with it after I figured out its controls, which were a lot different than what I was used to. Much more convenient than lugging around an 8X10.

vinny
17-Mar-2011, 17:39
Ed, as kevin said, just a black piece of wood (mdf) held in place by friction.
I like it better than the 1/2 darkslide method since i can't stand framing a shot with all that unused ground glass. I just place a piece of art tape on the shot 1/2 of the holder. Also, i don't like the idea of pulling one darkslide and adding another, then repeating that. Room for error and dust. The camera movements to center he lens aren't an issue for me. In a Perfect world i'd have a 4x10 with a 4x5 back along with the 8x10 and an intern to carry it all.

Kimberly Anderson
17-Mar-2011, 17:43
There was a 4x10 Canham back for sale here not too long ago. Seems like a Canham 4x5 and that 4x10 back would be just the ticket.

Robert Skeoch
18-Mar-2011, 05:48
I just bought the ShenHao 4x10 this year. It's a great format. A fair bit lighter than the 8x10 Ebony I had. Although the Ebony is a nicer camera.
I've used the Canham 4x10 as well. It's also a great kit.
I'll be bringing my gear down to Photostock later in the year if you want to wait and see one before you buy.

Panoman617
18-Mar-2011, 13:04
Thank you Robert. I'll take you up on that. I just got work to let me off to go to Photostock. So I will talk to you their.

EdWorkman
18-Mar-2011, 13:58
Kevin and vinny
Thanks very much for your replies.
I was hoping to avoid the notework as in Kevin's #2- more or less as would be required by split darkslides.
I can make a 4x10 back for an 8x10, - it's those dang holder$$$$.
Time to at least try the blocked back I guess - should be a cheap lesson at least :>)
Or pencil marks on the GG for 4x10 on 8x10

vinny
18-Mar-2011, 14:45
Rob, the only thing about most of shen hao's cameras is the limited bellows draw. the 450mm is probably my most used lens and the 305mm after that. Not much room to spare, especially when a close up is called for.
Check out chamonixviewcameras.com

Rob, glad you'll be coming up to the great north woods. I'll be there.

David Phillips
18-Mar-2011, 19:45
Take a look at davidrphilliipscameras.com. I tried every kind of pan camera made and found this to be the best. 180 degree 75mm Planar lens behind a rotating prism. It's the only pan camera you can shoot sequences with. David R. Phillips

onnect17
18-Mar-2011, 20:06
I have a ShenHao 6x17 and last week I purchased a Chamonix 4x10.
All I can say is the design, finish, and QC of Chamonix cameras is a lot better than the ShenHao. I wish they start to make 6x17s, I would sell the ShenHao in two seconds.
Also the process of ordering took less than a week, from exchanging emails with Hugo here in the forum to seeing the box in the front door. It was a very pleasant experience.

There's a 4x10 (unknown brand) listed on the auction site for around a grand, and it uses a larger lensboard.