PDA

View Full Version : Light Trap Felt and Glue for Camera Backs?

Frank Petronio
17-Mar-2011, 10:16
Specifically I want to replace the light traps around a Technika 4x5 back, it consists of two approximately 1/4" x 5" strips and one 3/8" x 4" strip forming a "U" shape around the inserted film holder, between the holder and the camera body.

I looked at Micro-Tools and am not sure what to order, or if a local crafts store might have it? It can't be too thick and must have a tight weave.

Also, what glue is best for attaching it to the metal surfaces?

And finally, is anyone shooting a Technika without these traps? The design of the camera seems like they aren't absolutely necessary, and of course I will test it in the meantime but if you know for certain it would save me wasting some film.

thanks

E. von Hoegh
17-Mar-2011, 10:40
I think you want velvet, not felt. Any thin cement / contact cement that doesn't go on in chunks should do.

sanking
17-Mar-2011, 10:47
You can buy velvet with adhesive backing at McMaster Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#velvet-fabric/=bh3e1j

Sandy King

I think you want velvet, not felt. Any thin cement / contact cement that doesn't go on in chunks should do.

Bob Salomon
17-Mar-2011, 13:43
Marflex should have factory ones that would go right on.

al olson
17-Mar-2011, 14:13
I cut some strips out of scrap suede that I bought at Tandy. It does the job.

picker77
17-Mar-2011, 19:14
Hobby Lobby... they carry black felt in a couple of "hardnesses" and thicknesses, as well as black foam in two or three thicknesses. All available in sheets approx 11x14 or so, and some come in sticky-back sheets, which have worked fine for me as light seal material. Easy to cut with scissors or Xacto knife, great for replacing light seals in cameras of all types.

falth j
17-Mar-2011, 20:05
I have had good luck with black velvet ribbon, usually available in fabric stores.

I usually coat the ribbon back first with contact cement, and then cut when dry, with a single edge razor blade to fit the camera back.

I use a piece of thin steel, such as a steel rule, clamped over the top of the ribbon to produce a straight, clean cut of the ribbon.

Once the fit-up is right, I coat the camera back lightly with contact cement and let dry.

A piece of wax paper serves to keep the ribbon and the back apart until the ribbon is aligned, then I remove the paper.

I've had good permanent results with thin coatings of contact cement and rubber cement.

Silicone adhesives I've used are slow to dry, but allows the light trap material to be repositioned if an alignment mistake is made, but requires a method of light clamping until the adhesive dries completely.

In tight spaces, I use the rather square end a toothpick to 'swab' the adhesive into place.