PDA

View Full Version : New Musings

Bruce Barlow
12-Mar-2011, 13:36
Wrote an article, which Brooks Jensen declined, so I put it on my site.

"Old Guys." http://www.circleofthesunproductions.com/documents/OldGuys.pdf

Enjoy, I hope.

Heroique
12-Mar-2011, 13:57
“But reprinting old work bores me. It doesn’t feel like real progress.”

I like this excerpt – not because I agree, but because strenuously disagreeing makes my relationship w/ photography feel young again…

The key point for me to remember: Keeping my photo-explorations active won’t make me feel, or become personally younger. (I’ll read Deepak Chopra and Andrew Weil for that kind of self-centered magic.) However, my relationship w/ photography will feel and become younger. Literally. Now that’s exciting, rewarding.

BTW, it’s a thoughtful and thought-provoking piece, so I’m certain many are curious why Brooks Jensen declined.

Two23
12-Mar-2011, 17:41
I very much like the essay, and have had similar feelings myself for quite some time. I am constantly trying to "advance," and learn new skills that better my photography. I am constantly trying to stay creative. I would likely quit photography if I had to shoot the same stuff and shoot the same way, over & over. I call it the "same-o same-o." I bring this up on the railroad photography forums (comprised mostly of Old Guy types,) and they can become very defensive, hostile even.

There is one thing I strongly disagree with in the article. It's the idea that you have to quit taking shots just because it's night. I absolutely reject this. I am mostly a night photographer, especially in winter. Dakota winter nights are long and that's just too much time to allow to go to waste! I light up scenes with up to six monolights lights, or just use one to eight small Nikon SB-28 flash. At night, I control the light. At night, I control what's in the shot. At night, I break new ground! I also eagerly shoot with ambient light. There's a lot of it out there; you just have to learn how to "see" with long exposure. This might be the last weekend here for "real" winter. It's going back down to near zero, the snow is still deep, and the wind from the North is wicked. I'm heading out after dinner. I plan to use this opportunity and not allow it to slip away! Tonight my goal is to light up a freight train as it rolls past me in the dark. :) Like you I am 55, and live in a place where winters can be brutal. I have "gumption" though. And, warm mountaineering clothes! :)

Below shot of ice covered fence made with Shen Hao 4x5, Derogy 6 inch Petzval, HP5, x1 Nikon SB-28 flash, CyberSync triggers. Second shot of tankers & elevator made with Shen Hao, Derogy, HP5, ambient light. These opportunities are too good to waste! :)

Kent in SD

Brian C. Miller
12-Mar-2011, 18:28
Odd that you should post this. Just this morning I was thinking to myself, "Find your north star, and set your compass by it."

From reading your article, it looks like you've never really found what you really want to photograph. Are you losing your will to photograph because you haven't figured out where to point the camera? Is it portraits? Is it rocks and such? Is it moving water? What??

Portraits. I made two 5x7 portraits last weekend and remembered that there’s nothing as much fun in photography as making large format portraits. I do pretty well, but my 19-year-old son has recently eclipsed me with his digital camera. I oughtta take that as fightin’ words, and earn back the top spot by doing more.
Does quantity equal quality? I was looking at Alec Soth (http://www.alecsoth.com)'s site, and thinking about Milton Rogovin (http://www.miltonrogovin.com/). Both of them photographed people, but Rogovin's portraits always have a certain amount of dignity to them, even though he never directed the people in front of his camera. To my eye, Rogovin has both more quantity and quality than Soth. But what they both did was get out and photograph.

What interested me with Rogovin is that he started photographing when he was 48. And look at how much he did! All it takes is getting out there and doing it. You want to photograph people? Go knock on doors this Sunday, and just ask people. Tell them you are doing a photographic project, and you'll photograph them and give them a couple of prints for free, just like Rogovin did. No problem.

Go. Do. Now.

Nathan Potter
12-Mar-2011, 19:03
OK, you're getting stale Bruce. Your piece rambles and your sensibilities seem to be too obsessive about getting unstale. :confused: Driving and stopping to capture the trivial image at hand won't solve your problem. Most of us have had similar dilemmas at one time or another.

I doubt that you, especially, need anymore practice on image making. :) What you need is some new emotional fire born of passion from the formless emotions within and condensed on film. You don't need a camera to do this. I do it without a camera so that I'm not hindered by the gear and mechanical contraptions and especially "how too" inventions. The time for image making will come after the excitement of a new thesis crystalizes. It's the interpretation and realization of the subject linked to your own consciousness and rendered on film that will lift you from any fear of old age and keep you young and vital.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Bill_1856
12-Mar-2011, 20:34
http://www.nyip.com/getstarted/photo-course.php?code=D272:D

tgtaylor
12-Mar-2011, 21:35
http://www.nyip.com/getstarted/photo-course.php?code=D272:D

You gotta be kidding, No?

Bill_1856
12-Mar-2011, 22:36
You gotta be kidding, No?

Waddautink?

mdm
13-Mar-2011, 00:51
18 more articles to write, before, maybe, on average you will produce a keeper.

PViapiano
13-Mar-2011, 00:51
Thanks for sharing your essay, Bruce...

Several years ago, I carried my 4x5 around in my trunk for a month and stopped whenever I saw somethng that would make a good photograph. It helped me to get comfortable with large format and to work (and see) quickly, with determination. Never mind that LF can be a very contemplative endeavor. I wanted to be forced out of my car in an environment that wasn't familiar or comfortable and practice photography. I ended up with 30 transparencies, some very good work and learned a lot in those 30 days. It was invaluable...

No matter what format I happen to be using, I don't expose a lot of film. It takes me a while to finish a 36 exposure roll in 35mm, same with 12 exposures in my Hasselblad and even less when working in 4x5. I take my time to find exactly what I want to photograph, in fact, I'm not always looking for photographs. I'm just out enjoying the day, the air, the experience.

This weekend, I'm away on business in central California, a little valley I've visited before. There are innumerable beautiful views and opportunities here, yet this time, I decided not to take a camera. This morning I took a nice long hike, and immediately I regretted not having one with me, yet each time I saw a photograph, I stopped and composed in my mind and made a mental picture. By the end of the morning, I was refreshed and recharged. It had been an incredible exercise and although I "missed" many shots for want of a camera, it helped solidify my vision and decision-making process.

Next time you go out to shoot, try to limit yourself to one roll, or 8 sheets of film, or less. Shoot less, think more, let it flow...and thanks again for your thoughts.

Bruce Barlow
13-Mar-2011, 06:10
Heroique - Photography ain't gonna make me feel no younger. But Weston's work grew in sophistication as he aged. That would be cool. I'm no Weston, and never will come close, but I'd like my work continue to mature before I can't see it anymore because my vision is dimming.

Two23: I have nothing against night photography. For me, it just isn't a direction I am moved to go. Good for you - you know how to do it, and are passionate about it.

Brian - No, I know what I want to photograph. Becoming an Old Guy is not being able to say anything new with the new work. Not growing artistically as the hair thins. Of course quantity doesn't equal quality, but I would contend that there is a relationship - more quantity will yield better quality. The LF Portrait project is at the bagel shop in Keene. Set up and just do it, but thanks for the nudge.

Mr. Potter - did we read the same article? I don't think it said that I've become stale, but rather that I want to prevent it, and this is an idea shared by a number of artists I know, including, years ago, Fred Picker, who was keenly aware of what he felt was Ansel's staleness, and spoke of it over many a lunch at the Mole's Eye Cafe. And if I "obsess" about not becoming stale, it's because the article is about...not becoming stale. It isn't about poodles. Finally, every good, non-stale artist I know practices. Casals practiced cello four hours a day at the end of his life. He said he wanted to get good at it. It's a common conceit of many photographers that practice in photography is unnecessary, and I wonder what makes photography, as a craft and a form of art, different? Can you tell me, please? While you're at it, could you please explain your paragraph that starts with the reference to practice? I clearly miss its point. Thanks.

Bill - I honestly don't get a reference to a course a form of which I could teach, except which will emphasize digital process, which I am not interested in, and will have little to do with, at least, my idea of art. It works as a joke, though, and as a nudge towards realizing that the value in something like that is the discipline to do it every day. Habits. Koudelka said that he needed to expose at least a roll a day "just to keep the eye sharp." If you research threads on "one-a-day," folks here claim that one a day is too hard. That said, do I do it? Nope. Should I? Now there's an existential question.

mdm - I've got plenty of keepers, but not enough. Some are rippers, but I want to do even better today, or tomorrow at the latest. The point is how to keep 'em coming, how to get better. Writing articles that make me think are useful, at least to me. Don't know if I have 18 more things to say before I croak. We'll see.

PVpiano - Yup, the value is in doing it, regardless of quantity. Years ago, a violin teacher for the class I was teaching advocated "just saying hello" to the violin each day. He was sneaking up on my 10-year-olds with the concept of practice by advocating exposure each day, building habits. Friend Richard Ritter tosses an 8x10 over his shoulder and walks out the door with one film holder. And no meter... Make it count. Uh oh, back to the "one-a-day" idea, where one is only one, and no more. And yuh, I'm always making pictures whether there is a camera with me to record them, or not. Since they always look spectacular in the "viewfinder," you'd be amazed at the ones that got away... You got sumpin' there, sir. Thank you.

Finally, thanks to all for reading it.

Jim Jones
13-Mar-2011, 07:41
If we open our eyes, minds, and hearts, there is always something new to inspire us. Perhaps it is in our avocation. Perhaps it is external. Weston had young Charis Wilson to inspire, energize, and colaborate with him in the writings attributed to him. Perhaps Pablo Casals was likewise inspired and energized by the much younger Marta Montañez Martínez. Like Casals, the photographers Imogene Cunningham and Ruth Bernhard were active in photography into their nineties, although health problems kept Bernhard from operating large cameras late in life. While we can't actually get younger, an active interest in photography can keep us from getting too old too fast.

Two23
13-Mar-2011, 07:49
Next time you go out to shoot, try to limit yourself to one roll, or 8 sheets of film, or less. Shoot less, think more, let it flow...and thanks again for your thoughts.

My favorite photo book is Jim Brandenburg's "Chased by the Light." He was building a house at the time, and limited his photography for one year to taking only one shot per day. Not only did the book sell well, the exhibition of the shots drew quite a crowd in Twin Cities.

Kent in SD

Bruce Barlow
13-Mar-2011, 08:00
Richard Ritter hung a show selected from one-a-day 8x10 negs. It was a killer show.

John Jarosz
13-Mar-2011, 08:57
I never knew getting old was so complicated. It isn't. It happens to everybody.

Too much introspection is not a good thing. Eventually you will end up at "What does it all mean?" or " Is that all there is?". That won't end well.

Your list of photographers and their achievements after age 50 is too small. Look at all kinds of scientists and artists. I think you'll see that their accomplishments mirror the accomplishments of the rest of the population by age. Some continue to produce, others not so much.

For me, things do change as I get older. I guess I'll accept that. Why not? As long as I keep challenging myself (I don't only work at photography, I have other interests as well) I'll stay ahead of the "Old Guy" curve. I believe it's all right for one's interests to change, whether is a change of media or subject matter. But no matter what I do, the "Young Guys" will still think I'm an "Old Guy". ;) After all, I am. It's not a bad thing. The alternative to being an old guy is to simply check out early.

Jay DeFehr
13-Mar-2011, 10:17
Bruce,

Is it possible your thinking has become overly photocentric? For me, photography is one interest among many, and each fuels the others. If I put photography in such a privileged position in my life as you seem to do in yours, I too might worry about maintaining vitality. Do you really have much to say about stones or moving water that hasn't been said already? Your many references to other photographers, most from earlier generations, and the rest working in those same styles and traditions suggests you don't really live in the present, or work from a personal perspective, and your romanticism about old masters perfecting their crafts by repetitive exercises isn't likely to inspire a new vision, or even to sustain an existing one. I respectfully suggest you forget about the old masters and perfecting your technique, and think about what it means to be alive in this world, now, and what you might have to say about it. Ask yourself what difference would it make to anyone but you if you stopped photographing altogether? What difference would it make to you?

sanking
13-Mar-2011, 10:42
One of the problems with the essay is that it rambles and leaves one with nothing to hang on to in terms of direction. Sounds like you are just lost with no focus and idea how to get somewhere else in your work. Also sounds like your subject matter has gotten a bit stale to you.

I think you should break out of your current structure and do new things. Choose other subjects to photograph, use different format cameras, even digital, or perhaps some form of hybrid. Do another process, albumen, carbon transfer, pt/pd. Or perhaps travel to other parts of the country or to foreign countries to expand your horizon and grow as a person, and hopefully artistic creativity will follow this path.

One thing is for sure, at age 55 you should still be capable of doing very creative work. Miguel de Cervantes, who wrote what many consider the greatest novel of all time, El Ingenioso Hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha, was in his late 50s when he published the first part of the novel, and late 60s when he published the second part.

Good luck in finding your way again.

Sandy King

Two23
13-Mar-2011, 10:57
Two23: I have nothing against night photography. For me, it just isn't a direction I am moved to go. Good for you - you know how to do it, and are passionate about it.

What about photo'ing your stone walls under a full moon? Soft focus lens, ISO 400 film push to 1600 to accentuate grain, whatever. Could be cool.

Kent in SD

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
13-Mar-2011, 11:08
You are only as old as you feel you are ! Today I got news about a 93 year old friend in Minnesota. He used to stand on his head every birthday till he was 87, then his family made him stop. This week he thew out his PC and got himself a Mac. He was fed up with Windows and Bill Gates.

PS I forgot to mention that this guy is of Icelandic decent.

David Low
13-Mar-2011, 12:48
Hi Bruce

From the teaching of Lisette Model, her main (and possibly only lesson) was:

'Never take a picture of anything you are not passionately interested in."

And I guess it follows that if you are not passionately interested in anything right now, then just stop taking photos until you find something that fires you up?

David

mdm
13-Mar-2011, 12:51
Photography is a creative process, it cant be hurried. I am a nobody, but for me it is play. I dont care about the results, dont care if anybody values them, because I know that one day everything will fall into place and the results will come. You need to find something to do that is play, dosent have to be photography, and the creativity will find a way to come out.

That is how it has been for me, you spend years playing around, developing skills, and then when you least expect it there is a burst of creativity and you do things you like. When you stop learning and developing, you die, maybe not pysically but creatively.

Kevin J. Kolosky
28-Mar-2011, 18:39
since photography is about the "thing" photographed, you need to get interested in new things!

Nathan Potter
28-Mar-2011, 19:11
You are only as old as you feel you are ! Today I got news about a 93 year old friend in Minnesota. He used to stand on his head every birthday till he was 87, then his family made him stop. This week he thew out his PC and got himself a Mac. He was fed up with Windows and Bill Gates.

PS I forgot to mention that this guy is of Icelandic decent.

Aha, a modern day Grettir the Strong; a noble Icelander if there ever was one. Is there still an island called Drangy off the north coast?

Perhaps he stood on his head because he just could not get use to that inverted image on the GG. A decent Icelander I would say.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

matthew blais
28-Mar-2011, 20:46
Hmmm...interesting musings Bruce

I felt old when I was younger...and now feel younger when I'm old.
Well, it works for me!