PDA

View Full Version : Close-up filters on view cameras???

Robert J Pellegrino
16-Sep-2000, 22:34
Can a close-up filter be successfully used on a view camera? I have a 150mm len s on my Arca 6x9 with the standard 20cm bellows, I would like to use this lens f or some close-up work. However; at full bellows extension my lens to subject di stance is still not quite close enough, can a close-up filter buy me another 6-8 inches "i.e. closer lens to subject distance"?

Bob P.

William Marderness
16-Sep-2000, 22:42
A close up lens shortens the focal length of the lens it is put on. If you put one on your 150mm lens, you will be able to focus closer, just as if you had a 135mm or 120mm lens instead.

Robert J Pellegrino
17-Sep-2000, 15:55
Thanks for your input, I've ordered both a +1.0 and +2.0 diopter filters for my 150mm lens. I'll give them a try and hope for the best, it's certainly much cheaper than buying a longer bellows. Thanks. Bob P.

Paul Schilliger
17-Sep-2000, 18:10
Bob, have you ordered the two elements ones? The single element have a lesser qu ality. In Nikon's range, the doublets are the 3T & 4T in 52 mm and the 5T & 6T in 62 mm. The single elements are essentially designed for short focal lenses. The cost of these lenses is marginal (30 bugs) compared to other c lose-up solutions!