PDA

View Full Version : Merg Ross in LensWork

Gary Nylander
9-Mar-2011, 23:44
The latest edition of LensWork, No.93 Mar-Apr 2011 has a story by our one and only Merg Ross along with sixteen of his wonderful abstract photographs, it's so nice to see his wonderful work featured, its well deserved honour.

darr
10-Mar-2011, 07:00
I look forward to seeing it!

David Karp
10-Mar-2011, 07:13
I will have to pick one of these up from B&N. Congrats Merg.

bob carnie
10-Mar-2011, 07:36
I will have to get a copy of this issue, way to go Merg

IanG
10-Mar-2011, 07:53
Will try and get a copy to, well done Merg.

Ian

Jan Pedersen
10-Mar-2011, 07:59
Congrats Merg. Look forward to receive my copy.

David, remember LensWork is no longer sold in stores.

William McEwen
10-Mar-2011, 08:33
Congrats Merg. Look forward to receive my copy.

David, remember LensWork is no longer sold in stores.

Yes, but you can order a single copy on the website. Very smart on their part.

Jerzy Pawlowski
10-Mar-2011, 08:35
I got announcement by e-mail from Lenswork. Waiting for my copy to arrive. Congratulations Merg, well deserved.
Jerzy

Kirk Gittings
10-Mar-2011, 09:01
Terrific Merg.

Eric Rose
10-Mar-2011, 09:05
Great to see Merg featured in this way. I love Lenswork for just such spotlights. To read about his photographic history is just amazing. I wished he lived closer to me as I would love to spend an afternoon with him.

Hey Merg if your ever in Calgary you have a place to stay!

Shawn Dougherty
10-Mar-2011, 11:34
Congrats, Merg! I'll be sure to get my hands on a copy.

Richard K.
10-Mar-2011, 16:35
The latest edition of LensWork, No.93 Mar-Apr 2011 has a story by our one and only Merg Ross along with sixteen of his wonderful abstract photographs, it's so nice to see his wonderful work featured, its well deserved honour.

Is this available in Canadian bookstores?

Lee Hamiel
10-Mar-2011, 17:02
Jan said:

"Congrats Merg. Look forward to receive my copy.

David, remember LensWork is no longer sold in stores."

Richard - Order online as I'm about to do

Congratulations Merg!

Regards

Lee Hamiel
10-Mar-2011, 17:15
Here's the site order page:

http://www.lenswork.com/previewpages/lw93/lw93preview.html

Lee Hamiel
10-Mar-2011, 17:25
Just realized that if you order the extended multimedia CD version it includes 55 images along with an audio interview with Merg Ross as well as the balance of the extended version of this month's issue

Eric Biggerstaff
10-Mar-2011, 20:53
Way to go Merg! I have not read Lens Work for a long time but I will get this one.

austin granger
10-Mar-2011, 22:13
Merg, this news brought a big smile to my face. Congratulations!

Austin

Richard K.
11-Mar-2011, 07:16
Jan said:
Richard - Order online as I'm about to do

Yup, did so, got the DeLuxe version CD; looking forward to seeing this! Congrats Merg!!:)

Curt
11-Mar-2011, 15:37
Yup, did so, got the DeLuxe version CD; looking forward to seeing this! Congrats Merg!!:)

Me too!

Merg Ross
11-Mar-2011, 18:29
I have been away and just found this thread.

Many thanks to all of you for the kind comments. When Brooks approached me in January about doing this, we decided to emphasize abstraction. I think his choices work well from what I sent him. The "extended" version is more of a retrospective collection. It was a delightful experience working with Brooks and Maureen; I have long been an admirer of their magazine and this is a real honor to be included.

My daughter just concluded adding a few images to my website in Portfolio #8; some old, some recent.

Thanks again.

Merg

willwilson
11-Mar-2011, 18:55
Merg,

Excellent Work. I really enjoyed it! Congrats!

sanking
12-Mar-2011, 07:14
I received my copy of LensWork yesterday and really enjoyed looking at Merg's abstractions. All well seen and printed and deserve a big congratulations.

Sandy King

Dave Aharonian
12-Mar-2011, 19:11
Congratulations Merg! I'm waiting for my copy to arrive.

Jim Fitzgerald
12-Mar-2011, 19:44
Merg, I have always considered your work very influential. Congratulations. I will be sure to pick up the extended copy.

Allen in Montreal
14-Mar-2011, 20:35
I was sure we had that on the news stands locally, could not find one so ordered it today.
Looking forward to read it Merg.

Merg Ross
14-Mar-2011, 20:50
I received my copy of LensWork yesterday and really enjoyed looking at Merg's abstractions. All well seen and printed and deserve a big congratulations.

Sandy King

Again, my thanks to those so kind to respond with their comments.

Sandy, this is for you, and those who place great emphasis on technique. In the LensWork portfolio, are several images resulting from the combination of TMY2 and Pyrocat-HD. I thank my friend Gem Singer for introducing me to Pyrocat-HD.

The quality of those images surpasses many that I have made over the years with myraid formulae. Believe me, there is little that I have not tried in the last fifty years, never chasing the silver bullet, but simply experiencing the demise of old favorites.

So, while the opportunities exist, some of you may want to give this wonderful combination a try. By the way, all of the scans for the LensWork portfolio were made by Brooks Jensen from silver prints that I provided.

Thanks again to Gem and Sandy.

Gem Singer
14-Mar-2011, 21:20
Hi Merg,

Thanks for the kind words.

Haven't received my copy of Lens Work, as yet.

Looking forward to seeing your wonderful images.

Brian Ellis
15-Mar-2011, 06:21
Let me add my belated congratulations too. I returned from a week-long trip, found my copy of LensWork waiting, saw your article and portfolio, and thought how well-deserved it was for your outstanding work to be featured in this fine publication.

dlin
15-Mar-2011, 06:22
Wonderful photographs in Lens Work and fascinating accounts of growing up around so many visionary photographers.

Congratulations on the well deserved tribute.

All the best,
Daniel

sanking
15-Mar-2011, 08:43
Merg,

I am very glad that the combination of TMY2 and Pyrocat-HD worked so well for you, and thanks for your generosity in mentioning it. Very high compliment coming from you.

Sandy

Sandy, this is for you, and those who place great emphasis on technique. In the LensWork portfolio, are several images resulting from the combination of TMY2 and Pyrocat-HD. I thank my friend Gem Singer for introducing me to Pyrocat-HD.

Harley Goldman
16-Mar-2011, 15:14
I read my copy last night. Excellent images!!!! Congrat.s on an outstanding spread.

Harley

Drew Wiley
16-Mar-2011, 15:35
We are certainly lucky to have a living link to the heyday of photographic abstraction,
and the brilliance of that era is the DNA of your ongoing work, Merg.

Merg Ross
18-Mar-2011, 16:21
Thank you Brian, Daniel, Harley and Drew.

The audio interview accompanying the portfolio was made available yesterday. Depending on how much you value your time, you may find it interesting. Be forewarned, it lasts an hour, and some of the material is in the article.

Merg

Wayne Lambert
19-Mar-2011, 21:10
Merg, absolutely marvelous photographs. Also, much enjoyed the essay.

Best regards,
Wayne

Merg Ross
19-Mar-2011, 22:37
Merg, absolutely marvelous photographs. Also, much enjoyed the essay.

Best regards,
Wayne

Wayne, many thanks and good to hear that you enjoyed the essay.

If you attend Brett's exhibit (June 4-August 21) at the Fine Arts Center, would you please report back with the deatils and your impressions? I would surely appreciate hearing how he has been represented there on his centennial. Thanks.

Best,
Merg

Jim Fitzgerald
20-Mar-2011, 10:32
Merg, your work continues to inspire! One day I need to come see you so you can make some piles for me.

Merg Ross
20-Mar-2011, 21:21
Merg, your work continues to inspire! One day I need to come see you so you can make some piles for me.

Better hurry, if you want piles! EW was the man for that.

I discarded 75 negatives and 50 prints yesterday. My goal is to leave no more than 500 prints when I finish this wonderful creative venture. Luck prevailing, that should equate to about eight keepers a year. More than enough, all done my way, with film and gelatin paper.

Thanks, Jim, for your kind words and encouragement.

gary892
21-Mar-2011, 15:47
Congratulations Merg!

Very inspiring images!

Gary

Donald Miller
21-Mar-2011, 17:41
Wonderful images Merg. I just received my copy last week and was pleasantly surprised.

Roger Thoms
21-Mar-2011, 19:07
Merg, really enjoyed your images and the article in Lenswork. Great to know a little of your history. Wow start with a 4x5 at the age of 12 that is very cool.

Roger

tgtaylor
21-Mar-2011, 21:05
I haven't read read the issue yet as I cut back on my subscription to receive just the Extended version as a result of the recession. Yesterday afternoon, though, I was in KSP in Palo Alto to pick-up some chemistry and took a sneak peek.

I was somewhat surprised to see that you were in the army and stationed in Thailand in 1965. I was stationed next door in Vietnam during '66/'67 and at the end of my tour was assigned to Fort Hood in Texas. I had it made there but wanted to see more of the world - in particular Thailand - but I could only 1049 for Southeast Asia and "request" Thailand. That I didn't want to do since I figured I'd end-up back in Vietnam rather than Thailand.

But in '67 and '68 things turned hot on the Korean DMZ and the army decided it wanted combat experienced troops stationed there. Top, who himself was stationed in Korea at onetime and held the country and its people in high regard, encouraged me to 1049 for Korea. While the Korean DMZ may have been hot, it was no where near the full-scale war being then waged in Vietnam so we reasoned that a tour there would be relatively safe. Besides with less than 1 year left Korea was the only overseas option available to me at the time without re-upping. So I filed a 1049 for Korea which was approved and a morning in February 1968 found me wrapped in arctic weather gear looking out of the rear-end of a deuce and a half watching several ruddy-cheeked south Korean women standing barefooted in a running stream pounding out the days wash.

It proved to be a very gratifying tour both culturally and to my military career for it enabled me to experience at first hand a foreign culture and I was promoted to Sargent in the process. I was discharged that December receiving an early-out for Christmas.

Thomas

Merg Ross
22-Mar-2011, 16:12
Gary, Donald, and Roger,

Thank you for the kind words; always good to hear that you enjoyed the work!

Merg

Wayne Lambert
22-Mar-2011, 20:02
Merg,

In a few days I will check with the Colorado Springs Fine Art Center and see if they have any additional info on the exhibit. Will post any information here.

Wayne

Michael Gordon
23-Mar-2011, 08:08
I loved the photo spread and story, Merg. Congratulations. I've been engrossed by your 'Torn Chair Seat' since my first viewing of it...

Merg Ross
23-Mar-2011, 21:03
I loved the photo spread and story, Merg. Congratulations. I've been engrossed by your 'Torn Chair Seat' since my first viewing of it...
And myself, with your "Shapes and Shadow" at Joshua Tree. So simple, and well seen!

Michael, thanks for the kind words.

Merg

Merg Ross
7-May-2011, 21:30

The single copy magazine of LensWork #93 is Sold Out. LensWork Extended DVD with photographs and interviews is available.