PDA

View Full Version : grade

Martin Miksch
9-Mar-2011, 02:35
I got a 30x40 camera and want to shoot glass plates.
For testing the camera I made some shots on paper to check for proper focus and lightleaks etc.
I used paper graded 3 and together with the Symmar lens the results are much to harsh. As next step I wanted to try some premixed emulsion like liquid light which is also graded 3, but now I am not sure how to get more grey into the images.
Is there a possibility to mix the emulsion with gelatine or something to get grade 2 or 1 or can I use some filter on the lens to lower contrast?
Thanks and and Regards
Martin

Keith Tapscott.
9-Mar-2011, 02:51
I got a 30x40 camera and want to shoot glass plates.
For testing the camera I made some shots on paper to check for proper focus and lightleaks etc.
I used paper graded 3 and together with the Symmar lens the results are much to harsh.

As next step I wanted to try some premixed emulsion like liquid light which is also graded 3, but now I am not sure how to get more grey into the images.
Is there a possibility to mix the emulsion with gelatine or something to get grade 2 or 1 or can I use some filter on the lens to lower contrast?
Thanks and and Regards
Martin
I have never tried paper negatives, but I would use resin-coated variable contrast paper and use a yellow filter on the camera lens. Yellow light will reduce the contrast on VC papers.
A soft working developer would be useful as well, like Kodak Selectol-Soft.

I'm sure there was once a manufacturer of variable contrast liquid emulsions which may have been suitable for coating on glass, but I can not remember who?

Martin Miksch
9-Mar-2011, 03:01
Thanks for your answer, I found different suppliers for the liquid emulsion, I will start a try with a yellow filter.

Keith Tapscott.
9-Mar-2011, 03:01
I knew I saw it somewhere. :)

http://www.digitaltruth.com/store/cart/RBM3-Black-Magic-Liquid-Emulsion-Variable-contrast-300ml-p-924.html

Keith Tapscott.
9-Mar-2011, 03:06
Here is a series of prints produced by paper negatives made by photographer, Andrew Sanderson.

http://www.andrewsanderson.com/categories.php?category=0

Martin Miksch
9-Mar-2011, 04:25
Thank you

Rick A
9-Mar-2011, 08:14
Try preflashing the paper, that softens the contrast.