PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of any source of info re: Busch Pressman LF cameras?

Tim Jacobs
13-Sep-2000, 00:17
I am intrigued by the Busch Pressman (so called) press type camera, particularly the model "D" 4x5 but can find absolutely nothing on the web of a technical/his torical/descriptive nature. (including this website where they barely rate a men tion) I can find nothing in print either. Is there anyone out there who can prov ide me with a lead as to where I might become more informed of this "other" pres s camera classic?

james mickelson
13-Sep-2000, 03:58
Just go to Graflex .org. The Busch is just a Graflex in Busch clothing. I've got a Busch 2x3 and it is almost the same as a baby graflex. James

Roger Rouch
13-Sep-2000, 09:17
The Pressman was my first large format camera and it really wasn't that bad. The ability to have front tilts with the Pressman is one thing I used for landscape photos that many other press cameras don't have. The bellows seemed to be made of a material that might be prone to light leaks with age. Some folks complain about the availibility of lensboards, but I've seen ads for them in Shutterbug for about $50. I don't know if the rangefinder can be adjusted for other lenses, but I used the ground glass for focus anyhow. There's a couple other pluses and minuses, but I would prefer it to a speed or crown graphic, but would go with a Super Graphic over the pressman given the choice.

Bob Eskridge
13-Sep-2000, 09:35
I have a Pressman and have owned several Crown Graphics in years past.

They are very compact and well made. Rotating back, front and rear tilt, rise and some shift in front.

The rangefinders are adjustible but only for one lens at a time.

No Graflok back.

IMHO, they are better built (aluminum frame) and have an elegant overall design.

Tim Jacobs
13-Sep-2000, 14:29
I appreciate the responses and observations of the contributors to my original q uestion.... but what I am looking for is more like "hardcopy"....some book or manual or catalogue or website that discusses Busch a nd/or compares press and/or field cameras. I can find no history of Busch or its products anywhere. I know that Graflex claimed 90% of th e press market but that still leaves 10% seemingly unaccounted for. What happened? thanks !

Roger Rouch
13-Sep-2000, 19:55
This is about as close to what you're looking for that I ever found when I had my Pressman: http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/pw/lf.html

N Dhananjay
13-Sep-2000, 21:31
Try www.craigcamera.com. Has a long list of instruction booklets which you can order. Don't know what they are priced at though. You could aslo try the www.graflex.org helpboard. Cheers. DJ