PDA

View Full Version : Nevada Advice Appreciated

Richard K.
8-Mar-2011, 08:25
After my flu-flumoxed trip out west last month, I am eager to return but to an area that I haven't explored before.

Nevada seems to be calling me...and Winnemucca is a stop on the California Zephyr (yes I'm considering training again!)...I'll be taking my new 10x12 (only 1 camera this time...hmmm...maybe the 8x10 reducing back for colour)...

Is September/October a good time to go? Recommendations for where to go for photography? HWY 50? I hear there's an interesting natural phenomenon near the confluence of highways 6 and 95? :D Thanks all...

cdholden
8-Mar-2011, 09:30
We've already got monthly portraits and still life.
Are you trying to start a monthly "Where is Richard K?" thread?

Richard K.
8-Mar-2011, 09:40
We've already got monthly portraits and still life.
Are you trying to start a monthly "Where is Richard K?" thread?

LOL...well I AM going to NYC beginning of May and Newfoundland in August...that leaves April, July...:rolleyes: :D

Jim Galli
8-Mar-2011, 10:03
You should stop by Tonopah for sure. I can always put the 10X12 back on the Deardorff and tie one hand behind my back, just to make it fair. :D:D

September ~ October is wonderful in Nevada at 5 - 6,000 elevation.

Richard K.
11-Mar-2011, 09:01
Hey Jim G (or other or non Jims), can you give me a list of a half dozen or so locales so I can start planning my trip? :) :D

Is HWY 50 really lonely? What about Winnemucca?
Anything on the lower right-hand-side of Nevada?

Jim Galli
11-Mar-2011, 10:24
Hey Jim G (or other or non Jims), can you give me a list of a half dozen or so locales so I can start planning my trip? :) :D

Is HWY 50 really lonely? What about Winnemucca?
Anything on the lower right-hand-side of Nevada?

Not really sure what you want to photograph. Nevada doesn't give up good photographs easily.....or perhaps......I can't see the desert because of all the sagebrush. I've been to Winnemucca several times for the 'Shooting The West' photog gatherings (missed this year! dang working for a living) and I can't find a thing to do in Winnemucca. Somebody else might spend a lifetime and do books there. Photos are where you find them.

The Nevada Northern Railroad in Ely, NV. is a priceless treasure, and the shops are generally accessable for really good 'lost in time' type things.

Tonopah and Goldfield NV. are full of opportunities.

What constitutes the perfect picture to you?

Ivan J. Eberle
11-Mar-2011, 12:32
October a year ago, I found an open but abandoned mine shaft with the ceiling caving in and rotting dynamite scattered on the floor of the powder magazine about 50 yards inside (Nevada's got plenty of excitement of this kind!)

Ray Fenio
11-Mar-2011, 14:34
Watch where you step as a local fell into an abandoned mine shaft in Nevada last week. They could not get to him safely and the shaft was filled and the man entombed in the mine with the consent of his family.

anotherJoe
11-Mar-2011, 18:03
"Anything on the lower right-hand-side of Nevada...?"

How 'bout the Valley of Fire or Overton, NV (northern edge of Lake Mead). It's been decades since I was last there, but it was a beautifully raw area when lived there as a kid back in the 60's and 70's. Admittedly quite different than Tonopah (or Rhyolite), but just as full of wonder.

Joe

al olson
12-Mar-2011, 19:02
You might consider Cathedral Gulch on the east side. It is near Panaca. (It is also near Zion, Bryce and all the other Utah tourist sites.) Cathedral Gulch has a nice little campground that is only $17 per night for out-of-state tourists.

With a little hiking it is fairly photogenic as well.

Jim Galli
12-Mar-2011, 19:10
You might consider Cathedral Gulch on the east side. It is near Panaca. (It is also near Zion, Bryce and all the other Utah tourist sites.) Cathedral Gulch has a nice little campground that is only $17 per night for out-of-state tourists.

With a little hiking it is fairly photogenic as well.

Hi Al. A Google-ism. "did you mean Cathedral Gorge"