PDA

View Full Version : LPD paper developer

David Michael Bigeleisen
7-Mar-2011, 18:41
Has anyone tried LPD paper developer? The can in which the powder comes suggests different results based on different dilutions. How does this work as a practical matter? How do your results with LPD compare with those using Bromophen or Dektol?

David Michael Bigeleisen

Roger Cole
7-Mar-2011, 19:03
It was my standard developer when I last did darkroom work and I just ordered some more with my recent batch of chemicals and paper to get started again.

I can't really say much about the change in tone as I confess I never really tried that. Note that it comes two ways, as a liquid concentrate or as powder, and the powder is half the concentration of the liquid. As far as I know they work exactly the same but the liquid is to be diluted twice as much for the same results as the stock solution made from powder.

I liked it because it gave results as good or better than Dektol and lasted far longer, not only in capacity but I could pour it back into a bottle, squeeze the air out and cap it, and use the working solution again with no problems two weeks later. Once diluted to working strength my experience was the Dektol was good for that session only.

memorris
7-Mar-2011, 19:29
The stronger the mixture the darker the shadows. If you use some warm-tone papers stronger concentrations will make the shadows a bit cooler. I use Ilford Multigrade Fiber Warm Tone paper and use either LPD or Platinum II developers. I mix both fairly strong (1:4 for LPD, and 1:7 for Platinum II) This gived deeper blacks and cools it off a bit.

Toyon
7-Mar-2011, 21:06
The problem with LPD is if you want a strong dilution it is fairly expensive. You can save money with a weak dilution, but I can't imagine ever wanting weak shadow areas. In any case, Formulary 130 (ansco 130) is a better developer and can be reused if kept in a sealed container.

PViapiano
7-Mar-2011, 23:58
I use both LPD (can/powder) and Ansco 130 (from scratch)...like them both. Great tray & shelf life, beautiful tones. I use both at 1:1 for great tonality with a variety of papers.

LPD can give warmer tones at higher dilutions w/o affecting contrast...when I first used it I mixed higher dilutions. Right now, I love the look at 1:1.

Dan Dozer
9-Aug-2011, 11:24
So I tried LPD for the first time yesterday just to try something different from my normal 130 developer. About the only difference I saw (used at 1:1) was a slight warming of the highlights from what the 130 does. Note I printed with Ilford MGFB warmtone paper. Has anyone else had other experiences with it. I'm trying to decide whether to stay with it or go back to 130. I'm not sure if I like loosing a little in the whites.

Note that I tried using this based on the recommendation of a very well known fine art photographer.