PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this strange accessory

Richard Rankin
6-Mar-2011, 14:16
I saw this camera on Ebay and the brass pole and hanging clip has me curious.

Anyone know what in the world that is for? My only guess was that they were shooting little kids in a studio with it and hung toys there.

Any better ideas? Surely someone has seen that before. Maybe we NEED one :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Eastman-Kodak-8x10-Commercial-View-Camera-/300532910675?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f9284a53

No connection to the seller, etc, etc, blah blah blah...
Richard

Michael Jones
6-Mar-2011, 14:21
I wonder if it held a vignette or such to mask part of the image.

Mike

Steven Tribe
6-Mar-2011, 14:36
I suppose it must be an alternative vignette mask holding apparatus. The base area is pretty cluttered up with movements so they had to use the top to mount it. I have only seen the traditional base mountings for vignette holders shown in advertising.

Richard Rankin
6-Mar-2011, 14:42
That makes sense. The only few vignettes I've seen used the compendium hood. I suspect you guys are correct.
Thanks,
Richard

GeorgesGiralt
7-Mar-2011, 07:24
Hello !
I use a contraption similar to the one in the picture to hold a sturdy card (black or white) in order to shield the lens or light the subject when doing close up work.
It is vary useful and lightweight...

Louie Powell
7-Mar-2011, 08:48
Looks to me like it was used to hold the bellows to prevent it from sagging into the image.

Jim Noel
7-Mar-2011, 09:15
Michael is correct. It was designed to hold a vignetting mask when desired. They were also used to hold a shield from stray light when the camera was moved from the studio.

Richard Rankin
7-Mar-2011, 13:59
Thanks all!

cdholden
7-Mar-2011, 15:29
It could also be useful for holding a printed copy of the latest film vs digital thread.

rdenney
7-Mar-2011, 16:23
It could also be useful for holding a printed copy of the latest film vs digital thread.

No way. It is not anywhere near sturdy enough. I think you'd need 2" heavy-wall steel square tubing for that. And a good, solid concrete floor.

Rick "amazed by how heavy hot air becomes when printed on paper" Denney

Brian C. Miller
7-Mar-2011, 16:31
Hot air on paper is not heavy when it is properly folded into a Möbius strip.

Harold_4074
8-Mar-2011, 11:26
True,a but then you are only considering one side of the issue.

Kirk Gittings
8-Mar-2011, 11:31
Hot air on paper is not heavy when it is properly folded into a Möbius strip.

:)