PDA

View Full Version : How to drop the bed on Toyo 45AX

biedron
6-Mar-2011, 10:14
Hi,

Question from a newbie. I purchased a used Toyo 45AX without a manual. I think I've got all the movements figured out except the "dropped bed". I can't see a lever/button that would accomplish this. I can tilt the camera down on the tripod and then tilt both standards back to effectively drop the bed, but I am assuming there is some dedicated movement - or else why would it be called out as a feature of the camera?

Thanks!

Bob

Gem Singer
6-Mar-2011, 13:44
Hi Bob,

Welcome to the LF forum.

If I remember correctly, in order to use the drop bed feature on a Toyo A, look at the large knobs that control back tilt.

There are small black metal levers located directly above these knobs.

Lift the levers and free the back to tilt forward. Bring the front and back standards to vertical. This will amount to dropping the bed.

BTW, do a Google search. There might be an instruction manual posted online.

Kuzano
6-Mar-2011, 13:48
Toyo, having purchased and produced the Graflex Super from Graflex, tended toward using similar hinge functions after they quit producing the Toyo Super Graphic and developed their own body styles. My 45A used the same drop bed method, based on another setting below the level bed setting.

Check the bottom setting in the hinges where the pins go into the notches (inside camera) for level flat bed. You may see another notch below the one holding the bed flat.

Now with your extra arm... the one growing out of your chest, push back on the two hinges as if you are unlocking the bed to fold it up, but instead push the bed down, so the lock pins slide down into that last notch. This is a duplicate way to accomplish back tilt if you mount the bed level, or drop bed if you mount the body vertical.

I'm not sure if this is the same on the AX, but I wouldn't doubt it. Hope this helps.

Brian C. Miller
6-Mar-2011, 13:56
See attached picture.
Loosen the big knobs at the bottom, and tilt the camera forward a little bit.
Move the little lever up.
Tilt the camera back (drop the bed).

Oh, yeah: Welcome to the forum! (asylum, whatever) We're always happy to help you sort out your madness.

biedron
6-Mar-2011, 14:23
Thanks everyone. It seems like I surmised, that the drop is accomplished as just a tilt of the standards. So any field camera with the ability to back tilt both standards could be said to have a "drop bed"?

Gem, I've been googling my heart out for all kinds of things related to LF. Found a lot of great info here. I've found a 45CF manual online, but not an AX or AII. KEH has an AII manual though, which I plan to pick up for completeness.

Darin Boville
6-Mar-2011, 14:36
If you are talking just about metal fields, the Linhof IV and later models can drop the bed without moving the back (the back has separate movements, independent of the bed). Don't know about the wood ones.

But don't write off the Toyo. I have both the AX and the Linhof V and, damn, the Toyo is nice. Hard to choose between them for the title of "best metal field cam ever."

--Darin

Brian C. Miller
6-Mar-2011, 14:39
Thanks everyone. It seems like I surmised, that the drop is accomplished as just a tilt of the standards. So any field camera with the ability to back tilt both standards could be said to have a "drop bed"?

Essentially yes. The tripod attaches to the box portion of the Graflex Super Graphic, so the bed does literally drop, and then the front standard is brought back. The bed "drops" on the 45AX by tilting the standards back, then re-leveling the standards by tilting the whole camera forward, since the tripod attaches to the bed.

You can also get a bit more shift out of the 45AX by swinging the rear and front standards in parallel, and then shifting the front standard some more. For more rise, tilt the front and rear standards forward, then straighten the camera by tilting it back.

biedron
6-Mar-2011, 14:54
Darin,

No worries about "writing off" the Toyo. Indeed it does seem very nice. I just though it was perhaps a little bit a little bit of marketing hype to call it out as a separate feature.

Bob