PDA

View Full Version : Lens protection ?

Gary Tarbert
5-Mar-2011, 01:44
Hi All, A few years ago here was a company where you could buy a lens protection soft pouch custom made if you like to your lens and board combo are they still around , and if not , What options including DIY are there out there . Cheers Gary

Richard Mahoney
5-Mar-2011, 02:21
Gary,

You could fold a few old tea towels in half and sew them on two sides leaving an end open.

=========================
|| Place
|| <---------- Lens & Board
|| Here
=========================

Best,

Richard

Bruce Barlow
5-Mar-2011, 04:21
I use Richard Ritter's method. I took each lens on a date to the grocery store and found plastic Tupperware-ish containers custom-fit for each one. A dessicant canister goes into it, too. My 210 and 120 on Wista boards fit in one container that also fits in the pocket of my white Zone VI camera bag. My 3 8x10 lenses on Sinar boards fit in three containers which, stacked, fit nicely in a cooler bag the same size as those in which I put 8x10 holders. $12.64 at Walmart.

Safe, solid, secure, and in my opinion, better than wraps.

GPS
5-Mar-2011, 04:26
Lock&Lock plastic boxes are air and water tight. Some foam put in them or DIY holder for the lensboard makes them ideal for keeping lenses in.

Walter Calahan
5-Mar-2011, 09:14
We need lens condoms. HA!

Jim Becia
5-Mar-2011, 09:35
Hi All, A few years ago here was a company where you could buy a lens protection soft pouch custom made if you like to your lens and board combo are they still around , and if not , What options including DIY are there out there . Cheers Gary

Gary,

I use the products from a company called Cartom, Inc. out of Ohio. I have used their x-small and small neoprene wide mouth lens carriers for years and love them. They are slightly padded and will hold lenses with their "linhoff" type boards. Very reasonable as far as I am concerned. Jim

http://www.cartom.virtual-space.com/photop.htm

Gary Tarbert
5-Mar-2011, 16:19
We need lens condoms. HA!My wife agrees because she swears mine are breeding ,Because every nine months theres another one !!

gerald.d
6-Mar-2011, 02:58
My wife agrees because she swears mine are breeding ,Because every nine months theres another one !!

Hahahaha!

Doremus Scudder
6-Mar-2011, 03:52
If waterproof is not an issue, you can simply make your own boxes, exactly to size, with heavy-duty cardboard, a knife or scissors, and some duct tape or the like.

My homemade boxes are exactly the right size, stack nicely in my bag, are made of double-wall corrugated to protect the lenses, and have been going for years. When one wears out, I just make another.

I started making these years ago when space was at a premium in my kit; neither lens wraps (too bulky) or Tupperware-type containers (also bigger than needed) fit the bill.

I have a waterproof pack for my gear, and don't put the lenses at risk too much anyway (from water, at least, smacking against rocks while unwillingly sliding down a hill, that's another story...)

At any rate, my homemade cardboard containers have performed well for a long time. I have yet to find better for me...

Best,

Doremus Scudder