PDA

View Full Version : Plans for building a light source cabinet for alt. processes?

Scott Walton
14-Jun-2000, 23:10
Does anyone have or know where I can get the specific info about building a ligh t "cabinet" for printng platinum and other alternative processes... including th e specific bulbs. I have heard about flouro bulbs and black light bulbs and grow light bulbs.... Any help would be appreciated. Cheers, Scott

Ed Buffaloe
15-Jun-2000, 06:53
The book NEW DIMENSIONS IN PHOTO IMAGING by Laura Blacklow (Focal Press) gives detailed instructions for building an exposure unit using black light bulbs.

Chris Partti
15-Jun-2000, 10:22
I believe that there is also a set of plans in the Sullivan & Weese book "The New Platinum Print." Substantially similar plans are also on the web site of a company that sells UV units; I think its name is Edwards Engineering (sorry, I'm away from home and don't have any of this info at hand). You might also try the Bostick & Sullivan web site; they sell their own unit as well as the Edwards units. The cheapest and easiest solution I have seen involves buying a number of fluorescent undercabinet light fixtures with plugs (15 or so bucks each). You have to get the kind that can be positioned right next to each other so that the bulbs are close together. You simply tape them together with duct tape or, more elegantly, building a wooden frame to go around them. You can them plug them all into a switched extension cord (like you use for your computer) and use the switch for off/on. Replace the bulbs that come with the fixtures w/ black light or actinic bulbs.

Scott Walton
15-Jun-2000, 11:34
Thanks all, anything to get more consistencies!!! Cheers, Scott

David Nash
15-Jun-2000, 18:50
Scott

I use a Phillips facial tanning unit for printing my 5x4" prints. It seems to give even results (s'pose it would have to if you weren't to end up with a striped face).

I reckon it would cope with 10x8", but I haven't tried it.

If you're anything like me, it's easier than messing around building something from scratch.

Tony Brent
15-Jun-2000, 20:32
I commented on this same post at Photoshopper.

Kent S.
16-Jun-2000, 13:50
Call Palladio Co. @ 617-547-8703. Ask for their instruction manual (its free). It explains how to make an UV exposure unit. Sorry no website.

Kent

Bill Smithe
17-Jun-2000, 19:49
Save yourself the angush. Bostick & Sullivan sells the Edwards Engineering units. 11x14 is around $400. Call B&H, they sell ths Aristo Platinum printer, the best commercially manufactured unit available. It sells for just under $1,000. Print times average 2-1/2 minutes.

Bill Smithe
17-Jun-2000, 19:49
BTW, the last time I called, the Palladio Company was out of business.

Scott Walton
18-Jun-2000, 09:54
Thanks all! Bill, I called the Palladio Co. and got an answering machine... I'll call again monday to try to see if they are still around in full force.... Thanks. Scott