PDA

View Full Version : First Petzval Shots, Thinking

Two23
3-Mar-2011, 21:01
I finally got about six shots back that I took with my new Derogy 6" Petzval. Looks like there is a learning curve here! I mounted it on my Shen Hao 4x5, shot HP5. First problem to overcome was no shutter. I elected to shoot at night, something I do routinely anyway. I shot both ambient light and using radio triggered strobes. I had no trouble focussing and the lens was pretty easy to use. I wear black gloves in winter anyway and used that to cover the lens and block light when in the process of taking a shot.

First thing I notice is there isn't much contrast from this lens, even less than I expected. I can goose it up in CS4 when I want, I guess. I can deal with it and actually like a softer look. The lens isn't as sharp as my modern ones, but I like the look. The one thing that is giving me fits is the flare. I knew I'd get some flare as the lens is uncoated, but not this much. The lens definitely does not like intense points of light at night. That's going to be difficult for me to work around since I shoot trains a lot. I am planning on making some washer stops which might help the flare issue.

I am disappointed in the way the lens flares so easily at night, but love the lens. I'll try to come up with new strategies to use it. Winters here give very soft, even light and that might be its salvation. I need some tight stops to get exposure times down to a second or two so I can use it in the daytime. It will also sharpen it up and increase DoF, another thing I noted. I know I am using a portrait lens as a general purpose lens and night photography lens, but am also planning to try some portraits as well. I do like the look the lens gives; it's just a matter of me figuring out how to use it.

Kent in SD

walter23
3-Mar-2011, 21:15
Yeah, I used mine (recently sold) in the day only, and even then, there was a fair bit of flare to overcome. I'd highly recommend getting a speed graphic to mount it on, if you want to continue using it. You can find one for $100-$150 if you are patient, and it definitely is a much more convenient way to use this kind of lens. 'course then you've got a couple of cameras and a more complex decision making process when you go out (which do you bring), etc.

goamules
4-Mar-2011, 07:06
Kent, glad to see you using the Derogy. You are breaking new ground here, and I suspect any uncoated lens would show the flare you are seeing. But I do notice a lot of flare with most of my petzvals, if I point them towards a bright light. Or even pointed towards a window sometimes. I think they all had the big hood for a reason. Maybe an option would be to use a filter somehow.

The things petzvals are good at are portraits, close ups of flowers, and the like. Compositions that allow the rapid falloff to enhance the central subject. Flat landscape or architectural shots are not this type of lenses forte. But you'll still get some interesting shots, with that "old" look you wanted.

Actually, relooking at your shots, I see some great looks with the falloff! Get the flare fixed and I think this lens is a winner.

Two23
4-Mar-2011, 20:16
Actually, relooking at your shots, I see some great looks with the falloff! Get the flare fixed and I think this lens is a winner.

Considering I had zero experience with these lenses and had no feedback until a week later, I guess I did OK. The head-on shot of the engine really is growing on me. The Petzval seemed SO simple to me that I didn't give it much of a thought and set up for the same kinds of shots I take with my modern Nikon system. It turns out that even "simple" lenses do have a learning curve, and I will get better the more I use it. I am keeping it for sure. I now also want to get an Imagon, probaby a 250mm. I've shot 4x5 for about eight years now, but am now breaking new ground. With old "stuff"! :D This is a great forum, but it's starting to get expensive, LOL

Kent in SD

Two23
6-Mar-2011, 01:50
I got a couple more shots back. These were taken with a Nikon SB-28 flash as the light, triggered by a CyberSync. I used my gloved hand as a shutter over the lens. Remove my hand, pop the flash, recover lens. First shot had flash off camera to the right. Somehow I got massive flare here! It looks as if the flash partially hit the lens. Man, it doesn't like that at all! Second shot I place flash further back from lens, and it came out much better. In fact, it's almost great! Subject is an ice covered fence.

I'm thinking that the four uncoated elements of the Petzval are obviously easy to flare when strong points of light hit the lens. This lens is "convertible" though. I can take the front two elements out, remove the rear elements, and replace them with the front elements. I end up with an f8 (I think) 10 inch lens that only has two elements. I'm wondering if using lens this way will mean less flare because there are only half as many elements there to flare? Anyone have experience with this?

Kent in SD

Ramiro Elena
6-Mar-2011, 06:56
I'd say your probably pushing the lens capabilities by a long stretch. Night shots with a light pointing right at the lens (in the case of the train engine) is a difficult shot with any lens. For me at least :P

I've used Petzvals in landscape and night and was pretty satisfied with the results, then again, light was much more controlled than in your case.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2795/4481022359_a09299ff2d_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4061/4422486522_938a21295e_z.jpg

Two23
6-Mar-2011, 17:44
I'd say your probably pushing the lens capabilities by a long stretch. Night shots with a light pointing right at the lens (in the case of the train engine) is a difficult shot with any lens. For me at least :P

I've used Petzvals in landscape and night and was pretty satisfied with the results, then again, light was much more controlled than in your case.

Very nice shots, and I can see how they work with the lens. I've been trying to take shots in my normal way. My thought with the barrel lens was to simply shoot it at night and use flash as the shutter. I'm finding that trickier than I thought. The irony is all winter long I've had mostly very soft overcast light. I need to make some apertures so I can start shooting in the daytime. This is an extremely simple lens--just a brass tube and four pieces of glass, but even with that there is a learning curve here!

Kent in SD

Ramiro Elena
7-Mar-2011, 01:43
I don't think you need a flash when shooting at night. Those two photos were shot at 1 o 2 seconds which is easy to do with your hand as shutter. I use strobes for portraits only. I also got a Speed Graphic just to use with barrel lenses.

Two23
7-Mar-2011, 06:55
Flash is what I do a lot of at night. It turns the sky nice and black. I often light up trains at night using up to six high powered monolights and radio triggers. With the two shots I posted above, the fence and boot were encased in ice. The flash was needed to make the ice glow.

Kent in SD