PDA

View Full Version : Source for photo shipping boxes?

Mike Anderson
3-Mar-2011, 09:45
I'm looking for a source for flat cardboard boxes to ship photos in. Various sizes up to 20x24 inches.

...Mike

vinny
3-Mar-2011, 09:47
uline.com

William McEwen
3-Mar-2011, 09:59
Mike, Light Impressions makes a rock-solid 16x20 cardboard box that fits several prints. I recommend it highly.

However, it IS Light Impressions. My latest order for these boxes was placed in May 2010. I'm still waiting -- the customer service people are polite, but unable to tell me when I can expect my order.

For 11x14 prints (framed or unframed), I use a standard laptop shipping box available at any office supply store. It's a perfect size and comes with plenty of padding and even a plastic bag to wrap the print in.

And Vinny -- thanks for the uline.com recommendation. I'll take a look. I've given up on Light Impressions.

Darin Boville
3-Mar-2011, 10:38
There's a cool box which I recently received prints in: It is basically a flat sheet of cardboard with flaps. Attached at the edges, somewhat loosely, is a sheet of thin, clear plastic. The print goes between the plastic sheet and teh cardboard, then the flaps are folded back, under the cardboard which tights the plastic so the print is secured. This then goes into a regular box. Slick. Don't know who makes it, probably Uline.

--Darin

Mike Anderson
3-Mar-2011, 10:54
Wow, thanks for the quick responses folks. I'm checking out uline and Light Impressions right now.

Thanks,
....Mike

Darin Boville
3-Mar-2011, 11:03
Well, I happened to have one in my garage. These are the boxes used by the Ansel Adams Gallery in Yosemite.

They are produced by a company called Sealed Air. The product line is "Korrvue." There are several varieties, mine is the "retention."

http://www.sealedairprotects.com/NA/EN/products/corrugated_packaging/korrvu.aspx

--Darin

Jon Shiu
3-Mar-2011, 11:14
Another option is to get some masonite cut at Home Depot and to sandwich the prints between two boards, tape up and wrap in brown paper.

Jon

Merg Ross
3-Mar-2011, 11:24
I have been using these from Archival Methods:

http://www.archivalmethods.com/Product.cfm?categoryid=1&Productid=68

Note, the price is for two. Not cheap, but tough. They are very similar to the boxes I used to get from Light Impressions before giving up on them as a supplier. Archival Methods delivers in about five days to the West Coast.

William McEwen
3-Mar-2011, 11:29
Thanks, Merg. These look a lot like the Light Impressions box, and the price is about the same.

Merg Ross
3-Mar-2011, 11:35
Thanks, Merg. These look a lot like the Light Impressions box, and the price is about the same.

You are welcome, William. They are indeed similar to the Light Impressions boxes, perhaps even the same manufacturer. As I recall, LI did offer a 20x24; of course, offering and delivering are two different things!

Mike Anderson
5-Mar-2011, 11:57
uline.com

I requested a catalog and 3 of them arrived they 2 days later. Seems like a good company to do business with.

...Mike

Roger Thoms
5-Mar-2011, 12:28
I've quite ordering from LI. As far as Uline, in about 10 orders over the past several years I had nothing but great results. John's masonite recommendation sound good to.

Roger