PDA

View Full Version : Hey dere from da yoop

lindy
2-Mar-2011, 11:47
Da yoop!?... Yup, Michigan's upper peninsula! Been lurking long enough, so here I am, dogpile da new guy! For large format I shoot a Graflex Crown Graphic 4x5 w/ a 127mm Kodak Ektar f/4.7 lens. The image circle of the 127mm will just (barley) cover 4x5, so no movement just straight shots, but's that's okay as the Crown Graphic doesn't have much movement anyway. As I understand it this was a fairly common setup for press photographers back in the day. I've been toying with the idea of getting a camera with a bit more movement, and a wide angle lens with an image circle large enough to deal with it (mostly for landscapes). What's the consensus opinion on Congo lenses? Their prices certainly seem attractive.

vinny
2-Mar-2011, 12:16
Welcome. Not too many (if any) yoopers here. I'm from the straits area myself, cross village. Living in los angeles now. I don't know anything about congo lenses but I'd buy a used rodenstock, schneider or nikkor first. This forum's for sale section is a good place to start for anything LF related. I have a nice 135mm nikkor for sale. If you're interested, send me a message. You ought to come down to photostock (photostock2011.com) this summer.

Vick Vickery
2-Mar-2011, 13:47
Welcome to group therapy! Ya'll managed to dig out from under the white stuff yet?

lindy
2-Mar-2011, 14:49
Welcome to group therapy! Ya'll managed to dig out from under the white stuff yet?

Actually winter hasn't been too bad this year (so far... knock wood). Gearing up for mud and black flies!

William McEwen
2-Mar-2011, 15:26
Hi, Lindy! Troll here! I was born and raised in Saginaw. You're living in one of the most beautiful places in the U.S., so all of us are looking forward to seeing some wonderful pictures! - Regards, William McEwen

lindy
2-Mar-2011, 17:16
Soooooo, is FARGO your favorite movie? Oooooooooooooohhhh yaaaaaa, You Betcha!

Ya dere b'golly eh!

Andrew O'Neill
2-Mar-2011, 20:35
and here I thought only us Canucks talked like that!

Heroique
2-Mar-2011, 20:46
Welcome, Lindy.

I hit my first deer in the UP. (I was driving up to Isle Royale NP.)

Before I could get out to inspect the damage, a native pulled up to see if I was okay. He was also concerned for the deer, as I was. The bewildered, bleating animal had disappeared into the trees.

Very friendly folk.

lindy
2-Mar-2011, 22:29
and here I thought only us Canucks talked like that!

Well we are pretty close dere eh. We even share a city (Sault Ste. Marie).

jon.oman
3-Mar-2011, 08:37
Say yah to the U.P., Eh!

I'm a yooper as well, west side, Bessemer. Many a person has asked if I was Canadian! Well, I'm not, but my sister has lived there for about forty years.

Welcome to LFPF!