PDA

View Full Version : Folding a Chamonix 4x5 with lens mounted, possible?

engl
2-Mar-2011, 10:38
Are there any lenses that can be folded into a Chamonix 4x5, reversed or otherwise? Would it be possible with a (low) top-hat type board in order to bring the rear elements flush with the front standard when reversed?

vinny
2-Mar-2011, 10:49
yes.

engl
2-Mar-2011, 11:02
Ok, thank you. What lens have you had folded it with?

You or anyone else, any idea about how much space is available in front of and behind the lens board when the camera is folded?

Lon Overacker
4-Mar-2011, 14:19
My immediate thought was heck no. But curiosity got me and I just pulled out my Chamonix to check. Sure enough, if you reverse mounted with recessed board such that the front of the lens stand was flush. You have just about 2" before you hit the ground glass.

So to answer your question, there is zero room on the front of the lens standard because it rests flush against the bed and focusing mechanism. Measured from the front of the standard to the GG when folded is approximately 2".

Seems like more trouble to get a special board and turn the lens around all the time. I guess though if it's you're only or most used lens it might make sense.

Lon

Jeffrey Sipress
4-Mar-2011, 16:31
Why would you?

engl
5-Mar-2011, 18:46
Thank you for your reply Lon! Two inches would be enough for one of the smaller lenses.

As for why I'd do it, it would be more convenient and pack smaller if going out with only a single lens. It could also be a last resort in order to bring another lens with a full camera bag.

Doremus Scudder
6-Mar-2011, 03:56
I don't know the Chamonix, but the way it folds up would seem to preclude leaving a lens mounted in a convenient way. It's more trouble than it's worth to reverse the lens for closing the camera just to have to do it again when you need it later...

The only cameras I know that fold up with lenses mounted normally are the Wista wooden field cameras (DX and that family), since the fold differently.

Best,

Doremus Scudder

Frank Petronio
6-Mar-2011, 07:34
...and Crown/Speed Graphics (up to a Copal 1, 180mm Symmar) and Linhof Technikas, metal Wistas, and I am sure there are others. It is really convenient, especially for 135-150mm lenses so if you like those as your normal and only have other lenses for occasional use then you're golden.

Chamonix are clever and light but in the end I prefer the rugged boxes that are quick to set up and use.

Cornelius
8-Mar-2011, 16:27
My Toyo 45CF folds up with a mounted 200 Nikkor M, without having to reverse mount it. They're also capable of folding up with the newer Rodenstock 135 and 150mm lenses. I know many have disparaged it, but I have found it to be a great camera thus far. Light and quick to set up and shoot.

Ivan J. Eberle
8-Mar-2011, 16:47
It's tremendously convenient to leave a normal mounted to be able to grab shots quickly when the light is changing rapidly. My Super Graphic folds up with the itty bitty Raptar/Optar/CaltarIIN/Sironar N 135mm, but then, most any press or folder would. It pops open and draws out to the infinity stop in mere seconds.

I also have two Meridians that fold up with much larger lenses on flat or slightly recessed boards, e.g. a Nikkor 90mm f/8 (flat) and a Caltar IIN/Rodenstock Sironar N 210mm f/5.6 (3/16" recessed). Don't know of another folder that's roomier in this regard. (Deeper lens wells than any Linhof Technika, for instance).