PDA

View Full Version : Finding the Perfect 2x3

Aladfar
2-Mar-2011, 09:41
I work in wet plate and love the intimacy of a 2x3 image. Sadly, good cameras are hard to come by. I've had some success with Century Graphics and have recently upgraded to a used Galvin. But I'm looking for something that offers more control and would love some advice. Specifically:

- Does anyone have direct experience with the Shen Hao (https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=3164) clone of the Ebony 2x3? The price is right, but I'm not sure a wooden camera is the way I want to go.

- The Toyo 23G looks to be absolutely perfect for my needs, but some serious searching hasn't turned one up. They seem to be extremely rare.

– Are there other cameras I should consider? I'd like to keep the cost below $1000, so Ebony, Horseman and the new Toyo 2x3 for digital backs are out.

Thanks!

Mark Woods
2-Mar-2011, 10:01
Have you looked for a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Speed Graphic? I have my dad's and really like it.

Aladfar
2-Mar-2011, 10:09
Thanks Mark. As mentioned, I've spent some quality time with Century Graphics and think they're great (I've hacked one into an entirely interesting little Frankencamera). But I need something with far more control and flexibility for my portrait work.

BarryS
2-Mar-2011, 11:06
The Shen is probably a nice little camera, but for the price, I'd buy a Chamonix 4x5. It's very small and light, and the controls are simple to use. Plus, it would allow you some flexibility in plate size. Maybe you'll want to shoot 3"x4' or 2"x4.5" landscapes. BTW, what are you using for a 2x3 plate holder?

One thing I like about the Shen is the swing out groundglass. I think that would be nice for shoot plates if you had a custom plate back fabricated (attachable by graflok). You could mod some old pack film holders for the 4x5.

Michael Cienfuegos
2-Mar-2011, 11:07
I have both the 2x3 Speed Graphic and also an old Graflex RB Series B SLR. Both are terrific cameras.I have roll film holders and sheet holders for both cameras.

Oren Grad
2-Mar-2011, 11:36
But I'm looking for something that offers more control and would love some advice.

What do you mean by "more control"? FWIW, the Horseman 2x3 technical cameras - VH, VH-R, 985, many older models - are rigid, sturdy and these days usually cheap. They have spring backs that accept sheet film holders, too - I've shot 2x3 sheet film with my VH and VH-R. But they're not monorails.

The 2x3 backs that have a swing-out ground glass are designed for roll holders only - you can't use sheet film holders.

Ray Fenio
2-Mar-2011, 11:51
I's suggest a Horseman VHR. It will accept the horseman and graflex rollfilm backs; I have the 6x6 , 6x7, and 6x9. It can be focused on the GG with a loupe or with a reflex viewer and can be used as a rangefinder and hand held. I like mine. I use the same lenses/lensboards that I use on my horseman FA 4x5 camera.

Bob Salomon
2-Mar-2011, 11:53
Sorry about your budget limitations but all of the following will work:

Linhof TK 23, TK 23S, Super Technika V 23, Super Technika V 23B, Techinka 70, M679, M679cc, M679cs, Techno, Kardan Color, Press 70, Linho-Color 69, Technika IV. Some are under your price limit and most are well above it.

Jay DeFehr
2-Mar-2011, 14:44
For portrait work, it's hard to beat an SLR like the Graflex. Movements on a 2x3 portrait camera are needless distractions that add complexity without benefit and slow the workflow unnecessarily, in my opinion. My own design for a 4x5 portrait camera is as simple as possible, and meant for serious portrait work. It's not much more than a focusing box camera with a GG on the back. I'd never thought of building one for 2x3 because I can just use my RB67 with 6x8 back, and use roll film.

cpercy
8-Mar-2011, 21:19
I am very fond of working with my older style Arca-Swiss 6x9 view camera. I has full movements and is beautiful to operate, however it is a monorail and not hand holdable. Not sure what you are using it for but if you want control this is a great camera. they don't come up for sale very often, but most I've seen go for less than a grand.

ki6mf
10-Mar-2011, 04:48
Why not find a 4X5 view camera that will accept roll film holders? I have 6X9 graflex roll film holders that work with my Shen Hao 4X5 HZX 4X5-IIA. If the view camera allows for the roll film adapter you are set. You may need to find adapters for the camera body depending on the specific body. This would allow for full range of movements.

tedw6
12-Jul-2011, 05:48
I recently purchased a Linhof Techno from Linhof and Studio in the UK.

It is an incredible camera and I'm very pleased with it. It's fast and easy to use. I shoot B&W film using roll film backs and 2x3 sheet film holders.

I've got mine set up with the multi-adapter back that has a Graflok attachment for backs. I've cut grooves with a Dremel into the sides of the 2x3 film holders so they work with the Graflok.

It's close to perfect. I suspect the new Arca Swiss is also nice.

Neither is cheap.

Ted