PDA

View Full Version : Just brought an old British lens need advice

Albert.Adderley
2-Mar-2011, 09:30
Hi just brought the lens below for 0.99p plus 2.99 postage it's just arrived
Looks in good condition for the age.
Any information about it would be appreciated also where to get a lock nut for it going to use it on a 5x4 sinar Norma for now
But any one know it coverage for bigger formats
As it was listed on eBay
*Beck Ensign Anastigmat. Patent. Series VIIIa No.3 No 213208.
Brass mounted lens with apertures from f7.7 to f32 the iris closes further possibly to f45 or f64
I tried it on my 4x5 camera and its very sharp but has less contrast than modern lenses.
The glass is uncoated but is free from scratches or fungus, it is a bit dusty.
The thread mount appears to be about 44mm.

Post in UK is 2.95 recorded
Thank you in advance
Al

Pete Watkins
2-Mar-2011, 12:18
Al,
Can't see what the postal costs have to do with anything but there was a company named Richard & Joseph Beck. They were optical & philosophical (???) instrument makers with offices in at two different addresses in Cornhill, London over the years. Their factory was based at Lister House, Kentish Town.
Ensign were a British camera manufacturers, off the top of my head I might assume that the lens could have been made for an Ensign camera. It sounds logical but I've seen no evidence to back this up.
Pete.

Steven Tribe
2-Mar-2011, 13:34
I think the following is your lens:

ebay 260739565049

The strange thing is:
1. This item was not sold.
2. The text in the listing is almost the same as the content in your question.

Are you the would-be seller of this lens?

IanG
2-Mar-2011, 13:59
I think the following is your lens:

ebay 260739565049

The strange thing is:
1. This item was not sold.
2. The text in the listing is almost the same as the content in your question.

Are you the would-be seller of this lens?

Nice one Steven :D

It's likely a lens for a Houghton Butcher camera, Ensign was a Houghton trade mark and they sold many of their cameras fitted with Beck lenses.

I have two Houghton cameras, one a 1/4 plate has an un-named RR lens most probably a Beck. Like Aldis Beck lenses aren't particularly special and some are truly awful on the Purma's :D

Most Beck adverts show very few lenses, I think they were a small contract manufacturer often re-branded.

Ian

Albert.Adderley
2-Mar-2011, 14:44
I contacted the seller after the auction finished as it had no bids got it for the start price.
Going to make a lens board for it and see what it's like
Hopefully will take a portrait with it this week end and see what I get
Al