PDA

View Full Version : Just brought an old British lens need advice

Albert.Adderley
2-Mar-2011, 09:30
Hi just brought the lens below for 0.99p plus £2.99 postage it's just arrived
Looks in good condition for the age.
Any information about it would be appreciated also where to get a lock nut for it going to use it on a 5x4 sinar Norma for now
But any one know it coverage for bigger formats
As it was listed on eBay
*Beck Ensign Anastigmat. Patent. Series VIIIa No.3 No 213208.
Brass mounted lens with apertures from f7.7 to f32 the iris closes further possibly to f45 or f64
I tried it on my 4x5 camera and its very sharp but has less contrast than modern lenses.
The glass is uncoated but is free from scratches or fungus, it is a bit dusty.
The thread mount appears to be about 44mm.

Post in UK is £2.95 recorded
Thank you in advance
Al

Pete Watkins
2-Mar-2011, 12:18
Al,
Can't see what the postal costs have to do with anything but there was a company named Richard & Joseph Beck. They were optical & philosophical (???) instrument makers with offices in at two different addresses in Cornhill, London over the years. Their factory was based at Lister House, Kentish Town.
Ensign were a British camera manufacturers, off the top of my head I might assume that the lens could have been made for an Ensign camera. It sounds logical but I've seen no evidence to back this up.
Pete.

Steven Tribe
2-Mar-2011, 13:34
I think the following is your lens:

ebay 260739565049

The strange thing is:
1. This item was not sold.
2. The text in the listing is almost the same as the content in your question.

Are you the would-be seller of this lens?

IanG
2-Mar-2011, 13:59
I think the following is your lens:

ebay 260739565049

The strange thing is:
1. This item was not sold.
2. The text in the listing is almost the same as the content in your question.

Are you the would-be seller of this lens?

Nice one Steven :D

It's likely a lens for a Houghton Butcher camera, Ensign was a Houghton trade mark and they sold many of their cameras fitted with Beck lenses.

I have two Houghton cameras, one a 1/4 plate has an un-named RR lens most probably a Beck. Like Aldis Beck lenses aren't particularly special and some are truly awful on the Purma's :D

Most Beck adverts show very few lenses, I think they were a small contract manufacturer often re-branded.

Ian

Albert.Adderley
2-Mar-2011, 14:44
I contacted the seller after the auction finished as it had no bids got it for the start price.
Going to make a lens board for it and see what it's like
Hopefully will take a portrait with it this week end and see what I get
Al