PDA

View Full Version : RRS plate for Ebony - which one?

georgl
1-Mar-2011, 13:03
I'm switching over to RRS and have to order it now for various reasons.

Which plate is best for the bigger Ebonys with two 3/8" sockets? Is there one that maximizes stability by using both threads simultaneously?

Thank you!

Professional
1-Mar-2011, 14:13
Which Ebony do you have? On RRS website they have different plates for different Ebony cameras, so look at them one by one, there is also a universal plate for LF, but my advice will be to call/contact them, the service is perfect, i never ordered anything from them and i regret it, i called them before for choosing which plate for my 2-3 LF cameras and also a Hasselblad 500 series, got the plates and they worked perfectly, so give them a call and good luck!

georgl
1-Mar-2011, 15:25
I've narrowed it down to the RW810 or SW410 - both have a similar plate design. RRS doesn't know, they only make special ones for the small 4x5"-models. I would just take the regular B29, but when it would be possible to use both sockets simultaneously it would add extra strength!?

Professional
1-Mar-2011, 15:53
I've narrowed it down to the RW810 or SW410 - both have a similar plate design. RRS doesn't know, they only make special ones for the small 4x5"-models. I would just take the regular B29, but when it would be possible to use both sockets simultaneously it would add extra strength!?

Sure, using both sockets will give more stable on the tripod or the head, but as i said, call them, they may tell you which is better plate for your cam, and i sent them pictures of the cameras tripod mounts so they can decide which plate to use, i even sent those pictures with the ruler to show the dimensions for the thread hole and to the edge and so, but if you are not sure which plate to get and you will not call them then search somewhere else or forget about RRS, or ask them to produce/make one plate for you according to your Lf camera, i think it will be nice if they can design and make one for specific camera, but maybe LF market is not as before in the past.

Joseph Dickerson
1-Mar-2011, 15:54
I'm using a Shen Hao, not Ebony, but the configuration might be close to the same. As I live close to RRS I took my camera in and wound up with an MPR-1 plate. It's six inches long and fitted with one 3/8" and one 1/4" but the holes on the Shen Hao are quite close together. The double screws are a very effective non-twist device.

I'm sure that RRS could send you an MPR-1 with two 3/8" hex screws instead of one of each.

JD

letchhausen
1-Mar-2011, 16:28
I bought a used Ebony and the previous owner had installed a RRS multipurpose rail on it that screwed in both holes. It's really solid.

vinny
1-Mar-2011, 16:34
There are tons of generic arca/rrs compatible plates on ebay. Same aluminum, 1/2 the price.

georgl
2-Mar-2011, 00:07
The MPR-1 sounds like an excellent idea, thank you!

@vinny
That might be VERY risky, Chinese manufacturers are flooding the market with cheap material (no environmental or safety regulations with metalworks that were already over-aged when they were disassembled in Germany, Sweden, Japan or the US and brought to China). Quality has become an issue even on standard materials, in my job we just ruined a 50k€-test because some "genius" ordered the cheapest steel that fit within the very basic specifications - without knowing the actual manufacturer - the results are all over the place because of huge cavities and the tensile strength is over 50% lower than specified in the standard!!!

Buying a 1k€-tripod/head, putting a 5k€-camera on it and then saving 20€ on the plate that might be ripped of (the dovetail is only a few mm˛) - nobody should do that! And I seriously hope that RRS isn't so stupid ordering these cheap materials!

Steve Hamley
2-Mar-2011, 06:54
I think I have one that will work for you. Let me check when I get home and I'll post the dimensions. I used it on an Ebony 8x10 at one time using both sockets. It's a RSS.

Cheers, Steve

Joseph Dickerson
2-Mar-2011, 09:39
Hi Again,

I concur completely on the false economy of hanging precious camera gear from unknown bits and pieces. I have seen far too many of my students cameras that were in eminent danger of "coming unglued" due to poor fitting or just whimpy mounting hardware. Not that there isn't some nice stuff coming out of China, Shen Hao and Chamonix come to mind. But with most of the stuff, you're buying sight unseen.

I have visited RRS on numerous occasions, and have been a user/believer for over twenty years. I even remember when they wouldn't take credit cards.

I can assure you that their quality is very tightly controlled, and nothing is manufactured "off shore". It's all home-grown, including their new carbon fibre tripods.

Besides, they are some of the nicest folks you could ever meet. You are even greeted by the family bull dog the minute you enter the door. He's a big love, but bring a drool towel. Of course, being owned by a Great Pyrenees I always have one handy anyway.

JD

Steve Hamley
2-Mar-2011, 15:18
Here's the RRS plate I used to use on an Ebony SV810 with two 3/8" screws. One hole has been elongated to make it work. PM or e-mail me if you're interested.

Cheers, Steve

georgl
2-Mar-2011, 15:21
Thank you!
Could you tell me the actual distance of the sockets? On the picture it looks like 12cm? Once I have the actual distance, I will tell RRS and ask for a fitting plate.

Steve Hamley
2-Mar-2011, 16:53
I measured the distance between the sockets on the camera, and you should too, as camera makers don't always keep these dimensions the same. Then I just had one hole made elongated so that the measurements did not have to be very precise.

Cheers, Steve

georgl
3-Mar-2011, 04:20
I decided to go with te B29, 130mm are not possible with the MPR-1, while other plates might end up with more than 170mm overall length (height of my bag).

mark anderson
3-Mar-2011, 04:56
there are very few places where a call to customer service is an enjoyable experiance. RRS is at the top of the list. call them.