PDA

View Full Version : Fire a strobe from a barrel lens?

Cor
1-Mar-2011, 05:40
I have this nice 480mm/19 inch Wolly Raptar, which I would like to try for (sharp) portraits on 8*10. The trouble is that I cannot fire my strobes from a barrel lens off course..

I could perhaps leave all lights out, remove the lens cap, fire the strobe and put the lens cap on, but I think that it's hard on the sitter and the photographer.

I do have a Luc shutter and a Packard shutter, but both are without a flash contact.

Any other options/ideas ? I know, a Sinar/Copal would work, but that is a bit above budget at the moment (or perhaps a partially broken one were only B works (is there a B on a Sinar?)).

Thanks in advance,

Cor

Ash
1-Mar-2011, 05:50
I do as you have suggested. I cover the lens, but I have the aperture small enough that the ambient light won't expose within 3 or more seconds. That way I can remove the cover, fire a powerful strobe, light the scene, and cover the lens within 1-2 seconds without fear of a blurry ambient light image.

lenser
1-Mar-2011, 05:51
Packard is still in business and makes or made a shutter with flash contacts.

Frank Petronio
1-Mar-2011, 06:00
Consider the strobe trigger your "shutter" for the purposes of capturing expression. Of course sitting in the dark or with the modeling lights dimmed so they don't impact the ambient exposure isn't a lot of fun but most strobe portraits aren't fun for the sitter anyway.

BarryS
1-Mar-2011, 06:05
You can add a simple flash sync to your Packard shutter. I've seen this done very simply by soldering a small wire that contacts the brass piston--or a little fancier with a small microswitch. There's also a pneumatic flash sync adapter that goes in line to any pneumatic shutter and adds flash sync. I got one of these when I bought my Century Studio camera, and it may be hard to find, but it's a good idea.

bvaughn4
1-Mar-2011, 06:09
Not familiar with your lens dimensions; is it possible to use a large shutter slipped over the front of the lens? I have an old Darlot with an Ilex #4 slid over the front lip using some foam tape to help hold it in place. The shutter allows the adjustment of aperture and a flash connection. Just be careful how you hold/tilt the lens, not to drop the shutter off.

Cor
1-Mar-2011, 08:42
Thanks for the suggestions!..(keep them coming..;-)..)

At this moment it looks like modifying my Packard would be the best one, now I need to find somebody handy with the soldering iron and such....

best,

Cor

eddie
1-Mar-2011, 08:49
Thanks for the suggestions!..(keep them coming..;-)..)

At this moment it looks like modifying my Packard would be the best one, now I need to find somebody handy with the soldering iron and such....

best,

Cor

Just buy one with a flash sync. What size do u need? I have a boat load of packards with flash sync. By the time u F around and count all u r wasted time and material u could just buy a packard.... Leaving u time to shoot some more photos or develop or print or drink coffee or play with your kids or take a walk or go to work or or or

Two23
1-Mar-2011, 08:49
I've been using my Derogy Petzval only at night so far because I have no shutter. I do what you've suggested--light the scene with flash and use the flash as my "shutter." I shoot outdoor subjects though, such as trains and ice formations. They are very compliant subjects. :)

Kent in SD

Cor
1-Mar-2011, 08:52
Good points!

He eddie, bring me one over than...:) :p ;) ..I'll get back to you for the size, it's for that Wolly you brought me last year..if you still remember...

Best,

Cor

cdholden
1-Mar-2011, 10:09
That lens has some miles (or kilometers?) on it. Up the east coast of the US and across the pond in just a few weeks...

eddie
2-Mar-2011, 04:36
Good points!

He eddie, bring me one over than...:) :p ;) ..I'll get back to you for the size, it's for that Wolly you brought me last year..if you still remember...

Best,

Cor

sure thing. no worries. just let me know. i will arrive about mid May.