PDA

View Full Version : TOYO 45Gll

Eduardo TOCA
28-Feb-2011, 17:21
Hello,

need help! i want to buy my first large format camera, Im interested in architecture photography, saw this on ebay:

"This package includes a flawless, lightly used Toyo 45Gll 4x5 Large View Format Camera with a 210 mm Rodenstock lens. No scuffs or marks (only light screw marks on bottom of area where tripod is attacheable). A brand new polaroid back, 7 filmholders, A deluxe Tenba carrying air travel case and 4 filters (including a polarizing filter)"

for $1,590.

what do you think its a good camera for me? what about the price?

thank you, hopefully you can help me to make my decision!

Shailendra
28-Feb-2011, 17:33
Hello,

need help! i want to buy my first large format camera, Im interested in architecture photography, saw this on ebay:

"This package includes a flawless, lightly used Toyo 45Gll 4x5 Large View Format Camera with a 210 mm Rodenstock lens. No scuffs or marks (only light screw marks on bottom of area where tripod is attacheable). A brand new polaroid back, 7 filmholders, A deluxe Tenba carrying air travel case and 4 filters (including a polarizing filter)"

for $1,590.

what do you think its a good camera for me? what about the price?

thank you, hopefully you can help me to make my decision!

Price seems a but high to me. You can pick up a used Toyo GII on KEH for about $550 and a 210 Caltair for $200. This puts you at $750 without the film holders, filters, and carrying case.

Ari
28-Feb-2011, 17:58
Or you can get a Toyo G for about $350 in excellent condition.
Great camera, solid, and almost unlimited (mostly geared) movements.

Joseph Dickerson
1-Mar-2011, 16:31
I agree that the price is high...way high. Lots of options available under $1,000, the fact that the seller listed a Polaroid holder as part of the package is a good clue.

As Ari and Shailendra have pointed out, the Toyos are great cameras but so are Sinars, Horsemen (Horsemans?), Calumet/Cambo, and others. You should be able to find a good gently used camera with a 210 (Nikkor, Rodenstock, Schneider, Fuji, Caltar) for under $1,000. Check the For Sale forum here or ebay. Good luck with it all.

JD

Brian Ellis
1-Mar-2011, 17:25
Apart from anything else, to really judge the fairness of the price you need more information about the lens. Rodenstaock presumably made more than one version of a 210mm lens over the many years Rodenstock has been in business so you need to know the model of this lens. And you also should know the brand (Copal, Compur, etc.) and size of the shutter. If you can't personally check the camera and lens out before buying then you also should at a minimum receive the seller's assurance that the glass is in perfect condition and that the shutter functions correctly.

Professional
2-Mar-2011, 06:19
I bought my Shen Hao 4x5 kit for $1599, NEW complete, that including: the body, the lens Rodenstock 150mm on lens board, lens wrap, cable release, film holders, cleaning tool, and Aluminum case.

Jfnphotography
2-Mar-2011, 06:45
I picked up a Toyo G with 210 mm Rodenstock lens off of Craigslist for $300.00 a few years back. A lot of good deals out there. I would put a WTB add on this forum.