PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the UK!

John_Vella
28-Feb-2011, 08:46
Hi,

Having lurked for a while I decided it was about time I joined so... here I am!

Looking forward to getting to know you all... and hopefully finding some plans for an LF camera, as I'd really like to begin my adventures in Large Format Photography by building my own camera.

Bye for now,

John.

Ash
28-Feb-2011, 09:08
Hey John.

I recommend you find yourself a cheap beat-up camera to start with. If you're interested in the construction side it will be easier to restore a camera and use it first. See if you like the format and then decide on a build that would suit your purpose.

Ash

IanG
28-Feb-2011, 12:07
Hi John, welcome from an exile.

I don't build new LF cameras but I restore them & some older shutters as well. I have quite a few LF cameras and I've become very impressed with the way British Field cameras of the 1880's to early 1920's are made. They tend to be much lighter than most modern LF cameras but very usable and I'd look to make a modern version if was going to build a camera from scratch.

Ian

Vick Vickery
28-Feb-2011, 13:57
Welcome to group therepy. :) There is a thread in one of the equipment forums on homemade cameras...look around a little and you'll find it...some really fine work on display there!

Vick Vickery
28-Feb-2011, 14:17
Just went and looked...the "home made" thread is in the "On Photography" forum.

Professional
1-Mar-2011, 11:27
Welcome to the forum, John!

John_Vella
1-Mar-2011, 12:50
Thanks guys, and I'll have a look round for a cheap second hand camera, and also search for the threads.
Might not be for a few weeks though, as I have to finish my dissertation, and I am also busy with my PGCE/Cert Ed course!

John_Vella
2-Mar-2011, 01:04
Hey John.

I recommend you find yourself a cheap beat-up camera to start with. If you're interested in the construction side it will be easier to restore a camera and use it first. See if you like the format and then decide on a build that would suit your purpose.

Ash

Quick question - is there any brand that you, (or anyone else) would suggest looking at? Also, what sort of price should I be looking at?

Thanks,

John.

IanG
2-Mar-2011, 01:27
Go to a Camera fair, you can pick up an old half plate camera to restore quite cheaply, plus a lens, it's very easy to make an adaptor to use modern 5x4 double dark-slides. Wolverhampton's Fair is early April, that's only an hour from you, there's likelynto be at least 2 of us from this Forum there :D

Also try Gem Singer at the Real Camera Company, in Dale Street.

Ian

Roger Cole
2-Mar-2011, 03:24
Welcome aboard John. I've no insight on camera building (I just about know which end of a screwdriver to hold, most of the time) but it sounds like a fascinating and fun project for someone with the skills.

LF is a different world, and there's all kinds of new an interesting ways to mess up a shot, but from the big upside down image on the groundglass to the superb print quality, when it all comes together it is just sublime.

John_Vella
2-Mar-2011, 06:23
Go to a Camera fair, you can pick up an old half plate camera to restore quite cheaply, plus a lens, it's very easy to make an adaptor to use modern 5x4 double dark-slides. Wolverhampton's Fair is early April, that's only an hour from you, there's likelynto be at least 2 of us from this Forum there :D

Also try Gem Singer at the Real Camera Company, in Dale Street.

Ian

I doubt I'll be able to make Wolverhampton in April, due to financial constraints, (I'm still learning to live on a part time teachers wage!) but I've been to the Real Camera Company before and will pop in and say helo when I'm in town next.

Thanks!

:)