PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 45n focal length question

photoSmart42
27-Feb-2011, 23:14
Just got my 45N-2. Love it! Does anyone have a guide for which front standard mounting holes are used with which lens focal lengths? I'm assuming the shortest distance is for the 57mm wide angle lenses, and the longest distance is for the 360mm tele. Do I just take a guess for the in-between focal lengths?

Thanks, all!
-Dragos

Jack Dahlgren
27-Feb-2011, 23:24
Rack focus all the way in. Measure the distance from the front standard to the film plane. That should give you the minimum focal length for each hole.

JC Kuba
28-Feb-2011, 09:23
I have a Shen Hao of a similar design and wonder what the front mounting holes are for. Are they for something besides just keeping the camera balanced? I assume the Chamonix is like the Shen Hao in that you can move the back all the way up to the front. This would seem to me to be preferable when you have a wide angle lens in the vertical position and moving the front back would could put the camera base into the picture. Especially if you need to drop the front.

photoSmart42
28-Feb-2011, 21:57
Rack focus all the way in. Measure the distance from the front standard to the film plane. That should give you the minimum focal length for each hole.

Thanks! I assume leave the rear standard in it's normal position, not extended back, right? So distance from front standard to film plane (mm) = minimum lens focal length (mm) at that location?