PDA

View Full Version : Toyo 45CF Cracking

MyNikonLens
27-Feb-2011, 23:13
I purchased a brand new Toyo 45CF a couple of years ago and used it only once. Today I used it for the second time only and I looked at it after taking it off the tripod and it was cracked in a few places. It feels like the camera is falling apart. Has anyone experienced something like this? Is this camera supposed to be Carbon Fiber or just cheap plastic?

Frank Petronio
27-Feb-2011, 23:23
Cheap plastic, sorry. If it was Carbon Fiber then it would have cost a lot more. Nobody recommends them to anyone, unless they work for a camera dealer....

Ari
28-Feb-2011, 11:17
From Toyo's propaganda page:

"Utilizing lightweight Polycarbonate/carbon-fiber material, the 45CF is up to 40% lighter than equivalent metal field cameras without compromise in stability."

I would contact them, maybe they'll do something for you.
Bummer, though.

Brad Rippe
28-Feb-2011, 11:37
I've used one for years, with no problems, taking it on a lot of backpacking trips. I use light lenses, but never felt it was fragile, and although its not built like a tank, it has worked very well for me.
The advantage of this camera is it is very lightweight, and easy to set up.
Where has it cracked? Can you post a photo? Hopefully it can be repaired easily.
-Brad

John Schneider
28-Feb-2011, 11:52
If Toyo won't help you, you could either use an adhesive (cyanoacrylate or epoxy, likely), or hot air welding (don't try this on your camera without a lot of practice beforehand).

jnantz
28-Feb-2011, 11:52
the folks at toyo replaced both focus blocks on my cx45 free of charge ... it is worth the phone call.

domaz
28-Feb-2011, 12:37
Hope it's not cracked carbon fiber. That can leak carbon fiber dust which some say is comparable to asbestos in it's ability to get stuck in your lungs forever. Don't breathe around it.