PDA

View Full Version : Canson Plantine 310gsm Not Happy

Chris Strobel
27-Feb-2011, 18:22
Ok, so I took delivery of a 50 sheet box of 8 1/2 x 11 Canson Plantine Fiber Rag 310gsm after hearing how great it is.I just printed out this b&w image on it, and then on my Harmon FB AI, and put the two side by side under my light box..I'm not real happy with the surface texture of this Canson, namely the tooth on the paper.Also its warmer than my Harmon which I'm not sure I like.Both my wife and I agree the Harmon version is better than the Canson version with this image.I feel like I just wasted 40.00.

The Harmon FB AI I have is from the old formula, and I've heard the new formula has changed.Someone mentioned in my other thread of the Canson Baryta.How does it compare to the old Harmon FB AI, and while I'm at it, how does the new Harmon compare to the old?I'm just about out of my Harmon stash and really need to find a new paper for my larger A3 and 17x22 prints.Need some advice from you seasoned veterans.Thanks........................Chris

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4043/4503250002_5590826c0a_z.jpg

Bob McCarthy
27-Feb-2011, 20:02
My suggestion was to try the Canson Photographque Baryta. It has a smooth surface w/o the tooth of Platine.

bob

Bob McCarthy
27-Feb-2011, 22:25
What printer/ink are you using? And are you using printer driver with profile? Or better yet a rip, makes a huge difference.

I have thought the Harman was too hard/smooth surfaced and looked very RC like. The Canson Baryta is very smooth like Harmon, but not plastic like.

Bob

D. Bryant
28-Feb-2011, 02:16
What printer/ink are you using? And are you using printer driver with profile? Or better yet a rip, makes a huge difference.

I have thought the Harman was too hard/smooth surfaced and looked very RC like. The Canson Baryta is very smooth like Harmon, but not plastic like.

Bob

Bob,

Do you know where I can purchase some sample packs of Canson paper?

Thanks,

Don Bryant

Bob McCarthy
28-Feb-2011, 06:06
I believe Atlex has sample packs.

www.atlex.com I believe.

Bob

Chris Strobel
28-Feb-2011, 08:44

Bob

Hi Bob, Epson 4800/K3/ABW.I've used Quadtone Rip in the past with my 4800, but am perfectly happy with ABW these days on the 4800.I do use QTR however on my 1160 with Cone inks.Anyway I'm happy with my tonality and Dmax on both papers, just the tooth of the Plantine kinda rubs me, course under glass it probably won't be an issue as the gloss of the Harmon isn't an issue.I'll give the Canson Baryta a try per your recommendation.

Bob McCarthy
28-Feb-2011, 09:44
Im using an 7600 and a 3880. I have not tried the ABW approach. Maybe I should at least test it. If you know your way around QTR then your good. BTW if there is no QTR profile for Canson Baryta for your printer, I have found the Hahn Rag Baryta a decent substitute.

bob

Bob McCarthy
28-Feb-2011, 11:27
A comment about Platine. It is a super high grade paper made of cotton, and no ODA's at all. It the paper you want to use for your permanent Museum exibition. Note its not a baryta paper but looks damn nice w/o the overcoat. Could be a source of the slight tooth, need a better expert than I to explain if thats the case.

Most of the other papers we're talking about have OBA's (i THINK Harmon and Gold Silk do, but Im not 100% sure) and/or are made of wood cellulose (Gold silk, most barytas).

I just think the Canson Photographique Baryta paper has a very nice surface, and the blacks drink in the light.

bob

Kirk Gittings
28-Feb-2011, 11:33
A few months ago I printed a small suite for a museum show on the Plantine and I thought frankly that the surface was more than acceptable-just a matter of taste I suppose. Remember once you get these matted and framed under glass the surface matters very little.

Chris Strobel
28-Feb-2011, 13:20
A few months ago I printed a small suite for a museum show on the Plantine and I thought frankly that the surface was more than acceptable-just a matter of taste I suppose. Remember once you get these matted and framed under glass the surface matters very little.

Good point Kirk, glaze is the great equalizer :) Looking at the Plantine print today its not bad at all, just a little toothier than I'm use to.If it was all that existed in the PK genre I could live with it :D

Leica53
4-Mar-2011, 09:16
B&H, Adorama, Shades of Paper, IT Supplies and a number of other reseller have the Canson Sample Packs which are called Discovery Packs. Their website has a dealer locator at http://www.canson-infinity.com/en/store_locator.asp which has a full reseller list.

kedbro
10-Mar-2011, 18:42
Yeah, I'm going to echo the sample pack suggestions. Never buy a paper you've never personally printed on and held.