PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get a used Dagor or Ektar in barrel?

Ron Whitaker
18-Aug-2000, 14:17
I've been trying to purchase either a used Dagor or Ektar in the 420mm range in a barrel. Does anyone know where I can get one? I've been calling everywhere, but can't find one.

Ron

Kevin J. Kolosky
18-Aug-2000, 17:17
Ron why would you want either of those two lenses in barrel. A rodenstock apo ronar, an apo nikkor, or a red dot artar are all going to be far sharper than those two lenses with the nod going to the nikkor.

C.W. Dean
19-Aug-2000, 01:10
Dagors came in that focal length in barrels but I don't believe Ektars did. More common in barrels are the Eastman Ektanons which would not have the coverage of the Dagor but would be quite sharp. Goerz Artars are probably more common in that length in barrels.

Doug Paramore
20-Aug-2000, 21:21
Darn it! I sure hated to learn that my 12" Commercial Ektar ain't sharp after all these years. Damn thing has been fooling me for the longest time. I felt bad when I tossed it in the trash cause it ain't sharp. On a serious note, have you checked with Lens and Repro or Midwest Photo Exchange? They both carry a lot of barrel lenses. I can't recall ever having seen a Commercial Ektar in barrel mount, but that doesn't mean they weren't mounted that way.

Good luck with your quest,

Doug.

Duane
21-Aug-2000, 21:36
Commercial Ektars definitely came in barrels. I have a 10" CE that I adapted to a Rollei SL66. I don't know where it came from - some sort of strange Kodak camera I'm sure. I don't believe that CEs were as long as 420 mm as the longest I've ever heard about was 14" (356 mm).

Cheers,

Erik Ryberg
21-Aug-2000, 22:35
Kevin,

First of all, you did not provide an answer to the question, you suggested that Ron get another lens. The implication was that the lenses he is after aren't really what he wants, even though they are what he says he wants. Second, Bill didn't "downgrade" you, he denigrated you. Third, he told you to take a look at Smith & Chamlee's photos because he believes they are an example of dagors "getting the job done," which your response implied was not possible, or likely (even if you didn't mean it that way, that's what it implied). I think it was a pretty good answer.

I happen to own one example of all three of these lenses: my 8x10 kit is a 7"dagor, a 12 inch Ektar, and an 18" RD Artar. My own eyes looking at photos I make put the Ektar and Artar about even with the dagor a distant second. But I still use the dagor all the time, even though it doesn't really cover and isn't as sharp as the other two. You just learn to work around these things, and people with more artistic talent than I have learn to work with them to make great images. Sharper lenses don't make better art, they make different art. Perhaps Mr. Whitaker actually knows what he wants and knows what he wants to do with that glorious lens once he gets his hands on one.

Kevin J. Kolosky
21-Aug-2000, 23:04
Erik I can accept a criticism such as yours. Why? Because it isn't nasty, and doesn't make false implications. Moreover, you have stated that you have experience with the lenses in question. Therefore, you are qualified to give an opinion on the subject. I admit that I did not directly answer the question with my remark. If that offended people I am willing to apologise. But at least I don't make remarks about masturbation, etc. in my replies. enough said. Kevin