PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a camera for wide angle

Rolle
26-Feb-2011, 11:25
I want a 4x5" camera which allows movements even with a 65mm lens, as I intend to use 6x9cm and 6x12cm backs on it. It must be rather light as well. I came to the conclusion that within my budget a Shen Hao PTB45 with bag bellows or a Chamonix 45N-2 would be the best alternatives.

Does someone have any better suggestions than those two for a light camera with plenty of movements when used with a 65mm lens? I can imagine paying a little more than 1000$ for the camera, and I'd prefer to get the camera soon.

Any help appreciated :)

Jack Dahlgren
26-Feb-2011, 11:34
Sounds like a reasonable conclusion.
Not many light cameras have plenty of movements with a 65mm lens. On the other hand, 65mm lenses don't often allow plenty of movement.

If you are using roll film backs, how about just using a smaller camera?

Frank Bunnik
26-Feb-2011, 12:00
What about a Cambo Wide? The current model is above your budget but the previous one should be affordable? I have one with a 65mm Super Angulon lens and it is a great camera.

Kirk Gittings
26-Feb-2011, 12:24
What is your subject matter?

Rolle
26-Feb-2011, 12:25
What about a Cambo Wide? The current model is above your budget but the previous one should be affordable? I have one with a 65mm Super Angulon lens and it is a great camera.

I believe it is great, but I probably will get a longer lens later, so I think my first LF camera should not be a dedicated wide angle camera.

Rolle
26-Feb-2011, 12:27
What is your subject matter?

Mainly landscape and nature and some urban panoramas. :)

Rolle
26-Feb-2011, 12:29
If you are using roll film backs, how about just using a smaller camera?

I want to shoot 6x12 panoramas too, and give 4x5" a try as well. Maybe the slippery slope for my wallet, I know :p

lenser
26-Feb-2011, 12:54
Rolle,

If you are considering used equipment, I can highly recommend the Zone VI with bag bellows. I routinely use a 58mm XL with mine with tons of movements and the only limitation being to orient the set up so as to avoid getting the front of the bed in the bottom of the image.

The back for this camera allows the use of Calumet/Cambo style insert roll backs with ease, both the 6x7 and 6x12.

With the normal bellows in place, I use lenses up to 370mm without challenges.

Tim

dave_whatever
26-Feb-2011, 14:40
For primarily wides or rather short lenses you'll be hard pressed to better something in the non-folder design. Like an ebony SW45, RSW45, Shen Hao TFC45, walker titan XL etc etc. Will be much quicker to set up than a folding camera like a chamonix or PTB (you can leave the lens on, pretty much any lens, when packed).

Rolle
26-Feb-2011, 15:08
For primarily wides or rather short lenses you'll be hard pressed to better something in the non-folder design. Like an ebony SW45, RSW45, Shen Hao TFC45, walker titan XL etc etc. Will be much quicker to set up than a folding camera like a chamonix or PTB (you can leave the lens on, pretty much any lens, when packed).

I would prefer having a camera with back tilt and none of those have that, do they?

Alan Gales
26-Feb-2011, 15:22
I would prefer having a camera with back tilt and none of those have that, do they?

How about a cheap light weight Cambo/Calumet or Sinar F series rail camera? All the movements that you will ever want and can still fit in a back pack.

dave_whatever
26-Feb-2011, 15:29

Fair play, they don't. Although they do have front tilt and front rise/fall, which gives you faux-reartilt.

Ebony do have non-folding models with back tilt I'm sure, I don't know the model names offhand. They'll set you back some fair cheddar though! :eek:

Henry Ambrose
26-Feb-2011, 17:18
The Ebony cameras mentioned do not have back tilt. But you can work around that by tilting the whole camera and moving the front standard as needed. Same for back swings. The SW45 is out of the price range you asked about but its a great wide to normal lens camera. I really enjoy mine and can't think of any other camera I'd rather have for up to 180mm lenses.

Rolle
27-Feb-2011, 00:55
The Ebony cameras mentioned do not have back tilt. But you can work around that by tilting the whole camera and moving the front standard as needed. .
I'm afraid that the above mentioned method might bring the camera bed into the picture when using a 65mm. :confused: Anyway, Ebonys are too expensive for me.

Rolle
27-Feb-2011, 01:00
How about a cheap light weight Cambo/Calumet or Sinar F series rail camera? All the movements that you will ever want and can still fit in a back pack.

I thought a lot about the monorails, they would have all the movements, a lot to be found on the used market and prices are reasonable. But there are few monorails that are light and compact enough for me. Those which are, are hard to find (like Toho) or expensive (like the compact model of Arca Swiss). :(

engl
27-Feb-2011, 07:20
I can't say for sure, but I don't think you'd have the problem of the bed getting into the picture with a Shen Hao TFC45-IIB when doing "back movements" by tilting the camera. Being a non-folder it is extremely short, and you could combine back rise with front rise to give more clearance if needed. My guess is you will be using front movements for landscape/nature/urban, but I don't think you'd have issues if you needed a bit of "pseudo back movements".

Henry Ambrose
27-Feb-2011, 08:36
I can't say for sure, but I don't think you'd have the problem of the bed getting into the picture with a Shen Hao TFC45-IIB when doing "back movements" by tilting the camera. Being a non-folder it is extremely short, and you could combine back rise with front rise to give more clearance if needed. My guess is you will be using front movements for landscape/nature/urban, but I don't think you'd have issues if you needed a bit of "pseudo back movements".

Right, no problems with the bed getting in the way on such cameras.
The other thing to keep in mind is that real wide lenses don't have that much coverage available for lots of movements anyway. You're mostly gonna stop down to get DOF you want. The ultimate movement capability needed, especially in field cameras, is largely a myth.

Mike Anderson
27-Feb-2011, 11:05
I thought a lot about the monorails, they would have all the movements, a lot to be found on the used market and prices are reasonable. But there are few monorails that are light and compact enough for me. Those which are, are hard to find (like Toho) or expensive (like the compact model of Arca Swiss). :(

Here's a cheap one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220740180531&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_674wt_1141

...Mike

Rolle
27-Feb-2011, 12:44
Here's a cheap one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220740180531&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_674wt_1141

...Mike

"Weight of camera: 8 1/4 lbs" = 3.74 kg :(
Too heavy for me but thanks for the link!

Kirk Fry
28-Feb-2011, 00:00
If you can find a version of the Swiss-B or AB models with a bag bellows you will have a great camera. They pack easily. These predate the F-Series, also great cameras but out of your price range. Wide angel lenses tend to be shot straight on with only front rise or fall. Learning other movements with a wide angle lens is difficult (was impossible for me). K

Neal Chaves
28-Feb-2011, 07:39
As was mentioned in a previous post, not much movement is possible with most 65mm lenses. I have a 65mm f8 Fujinon SW which just covers 4X5, but I have made very good and profitable use of it on a TRF Crown Graphic. I have it cam-coupled to the RF and use a 20mm (35 format) Russian view finder to compose. It has been great for photographing interiors hand-held or with a monopod and strobe lighting. I can get back into corners or open closets, up on kitchen counter tops, inside vehicles, boats and airplanes, etc. and compose focus and expose where dim ground glass viewing on a tripod would be time-consuming and difficult. Back tilt with extremely wide lenses is something I have never required.

Rolle
28-Feb-2011, 09:31
As was mentioned in a previous post, not much movement is possible with most 65mm lenses.
I would like to have movements with 65mm when using 6x9.

speedfreak
28-Feb-2011, 13:29
Check the for sale section... I've got the Zone VI that would be pretty versatile for you.