PDA

View Full Version : Dublin, film availability and development

sanchi heuser
24-Feb-2011, 13:13
Hi,

I want to travel to Dublin, Ireland in the next future and take my 4x5
with me.
I thought about buying the film (Kodak Ektar 100) and have it developed there to avoid airport scanners. Where can I go?

Andi

jb7
25-Feb-2011, 05:16
I'm afraid you're going to the wrong place...

As far as I know, Kodak LF film isn't sold here-
according to one of the last remaining stockists, they gave up buying it after Kodak dumped some very short dated stock here a number of years ago- wouldn't accept a return, wouldn't discount it.

However, since Kodak LF film in Europe is twice the price of the same product in the US,
(not, as far as I can tell, due to gouging by retailers) it might make more sense to buy elsewhere anyway, no matter what quantity you plan on using.
Kodak is not loved here.

C41 processing in Dublin is non-existent, as far as I know, though you could probably post it to Mullingar, in the midlands- €3.00 a sheet, plus 13% VAT - http://www.handimaging.com/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=1&Itemid=132

anglophone1
25-Feb-2011, 16:21
I'd second this,hard to buy even MF film in Ireland let alone LF, I now send my processing from both France and Ireland to London see http://www.genieimaging.co.uk/
Cheap [GBP 1.99 5x4 c41, GBP 4.99 5x4 C41+scans] too!
You can buy Ektar reasonabl in London [still not cheap though] and get it shipped to Dublin if you don't want to fly with it, otherwise buy in US.
Clive

sanchi heuser
25-Feb-2011, 16:36
Thanks for your infos.

Might be the best to ship film directly to my adress in Dublin
and back to the lab here in Düsseldorf.

What has to be done to avoid scanning during the shipping?
Or I'm just too squirelly :D ?

Andi

jb7
26-Feb-2011, 04:07
I think you'll be fine, the usual advice is to carry your film on with you, and not check it in with your hold luggage-
I haven't had a problem doing that.
You can put 4x5 in your pocket-

Probably best not to put it in with your camera, that sometimes invites some extra scrutiny,
Although I wouldn't know if that means extra radiation...

anglophone1
26-Feb-2011, 04:49
Make sure your film boxe[s] are well taped shut, and deal firmly with any attempt to open these.
I find the screeners in both Cork and Dublin to be very agressive [dunno why?] and in both places [never anywhere else and I travel a lot!] a firm explanation of what photographic film is and that isn't necessarily round light tight rolls has been necessary to prevent opening.
Security in Cork opened four exposed 135 HIE canisters some years back without me noticing, shoot ruined, I'm more vigilant now.
Clive

Pete Watkins
26-Feb-2011, 07:31
Joseph,
Only 13% VAT, that's really good? Can't see it lasting though.
Best wishes,
Pete.

jb7
26-Feb-2011, 08:01
There are two rates, goods at 21%, services at the lower rate-
Impossible to tell how long anything will last these days...

sanchi heuser
28-Feb-2011, 16:18
I find the screeners in both Cork and Dublin to be very agressive [dunno why?] and in both places [never anywhere else and I travel a lot!] a firm explanation of what photographic film is and that isn't necessarily round light tight rolls has been necessary to prevent opening.
Clive

Clive,
is that at arrival or at depart?
I decided to carry the film boxes in the hand luggage
when we go to Ireland and send it with back with postal service to Düseldorf.

Andi

anglophone1
3-Mar-2011, 15:47
Clive,
is that at arrival or at depart?
I decided to carry the film boxes in the hand luggage
when we go to Ireland and send it with back with postal service to Düseldorf.

Andi

No problem on arrival, its pre departure security screening that creates problems, you should be fine doing this.............when will you be in Dublin?
Clive