PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Here Live in Newfoundland or Can Comment on BTTV?

Richard K.
24-Feb-2011, 11:45
When might be the Best Time To Visit Newfoundland (for some LF photography) as far as diminished cold and wind goes? :) I would like to go sometime this summer. Also, best to concentrate on Avalon Peninsula or should I try to also see Corner Brook/Gros Morne/L'Anse Aux Meadows? Thanks, eh! :)

sully75
24-Feb-2011, 15:25
I hitchhiked through in May once, the nights were cold but it was nice. I got lucky with not too much rain, I guess that's a rarity. I'm told July and August are the best months to visit.

I found the southwest coast the most interesting place, if you are interested in people. There's a couple of outports still surviving that you can only get to by boat. really beautiful places. Labrador is also pretty cool.

It's a big place, so don't try to see too much.

bob carnie
24-Feb-2011, 15:42
I spent a week with my ladies grandfather in Bain Harbour near Marystown many years ago.
Salt Beef and cabbage for lunch , fish heads and roast beef for dinner. Really lovely area Richard , you would like it .
A bunch of small fishing villages in those days, probably not as vibrant with the fishing these days but an incredible area of vertical drops to the ocean and very friendly hosts.
Also lots of abandoned houses with great interiors , but make sure you get invited to go into them.
The fall will be cold , moist and awesome .

I agree do not try to take on too much as it is a big place.
Grose Morne area is incredible if you want the big vistas.

Richard Rankin
24-Feb-2011, 17:24
My daughter and I (and dog) are planning on heading that way camping in July or August. Any recommended places to camp there, preferably not too far from civilization?

Thanks, Richard

Fred L
24-Feb-2011, 19:03
I'm looking at visiting this summer as well, no idea when though. If it's icebergs, late May into June. Regardless, Gros Morne will be on the agenda as might L'Anse aux Meadows. It's about a good day's drive across the province.

If I had enough time, I'd drive up through Labrador to ChurchillFalls to Happy Valley. Head to Cartwright then Port Hope Simpson, keep going till L'Anse-au-Loup or thereabouts where I'd grab a ferry to Nfld.

Labrador has spectacular scenery and its either the coastal ferry or some fun air hops up the coast, a few places of which have interesting landing strips.

Lemme know when yer plans finalize Richard (either one).

Richard K.
24-Feb-2011, 20:14
A good friend also recommended Fogo Island....

Marc B.
25-Feb-2011, 00:05
As a kid, I lived at Harmon Field, out side of Stephenville, NL. As a family, we traveled the island, but there were few places as picturesque as the South West of the isle.

Depending on how you will arrive on the island, I think the SW part of the island will offer you more to see in a concentrated area, and/or if the duration of your stay is limited.

If arriving by car, it will probably be via ferry from N. Sydney, NS, to Port Aux Basques, NL. If by air, then Stephenville Airport, (the former Harmon Field), would be a good entry point.
With the convenience of car rental agencies at the airport, you are only about 35 miles south of Corner Brook. The Trans Canada Highway starts it's island run there, through to St. Johns in the east.

Go there at the end of June, first part of July, and watch the Capelin Run. You can scoop them off the beach with a small pail or bucket. Buy a disposable charcoal grill, and dine on Capelin at the beach. Well, maybe I better say shore line, as Newfoundland is not known for it's beaches.

Some of the most beautiful sunsets can be had all along St George's bay.

If you enjoy photographing rugged shorelines, then Newfoundland won't disappoint. As the crow flies, there is probably 1000 miles of coastline, but if you include all of the inlets, nooks, and crags, there is probably 5000 miles of shoreline on the island to photograph.

Bring, or buy bug spray. Flies and Mosquitoes are a huge PITA in summer.
If you are camping, be prepared to show officials during departure, that you have cleaned the soles of your hiking boots, and the soil from your tent stakes and tent poles.
Tripod legs/feet, too. Even your car gets a scrub down, before being let on the auto-ferry for the return trip.

There are some things in the soil, that agricultural departments on the mainland, would rather you leave behind on the island. Remember the Irish potato famine of the 19th century?

Oh, the Lobsters! Do you like Lobster?
And Blueberries! The sweetest blueberries I have ever had in my life. I always wondered if the Icelandic Saga's didn't confuse grapes with blueberries when referring to Vinland. Wild blueberries seem to be everywhere in the western part of the island.
Did I mention the Lobsters?

As with any trip, bring all the film you think you will need. Corner Brook and St Johns may have stocks of film in variety, but smaller hamlets along your journey may not.

If driving your own vehicle, have a good spare tire, (maybe two spares), and of coarse a good jack. Newfoundland can receive an amazing amount of snow in the winter, with little time for road repair during their short summers.