PDA

View Full Version : Back From DV/JT Trip

Richard K.
24-Feb-2011, 08:54
Well. it was a great 3-week trip (to Death Valley, JT, Palm Springs), not withstanding that I had the flu for the first 2 weeks. Met a lot of great people and saw a lot of amazing sights (and sites). Will likely get back to Joshua next March and would like to explore Saline Valley/Lee Flats area more. I wish that they would pave that wretched wrinkly washboard road to The Racetrack...:) . Other than the spectacular West. it was great to see Vivian Meyer's work in Chicago and also the current "American Modern" (Abbott, Evans, Bourke-White) exhibit at the Art Institute. I hope to repeat this trip in a year, this time with only one camera (10x12 with 8x10 back for colour) and again with meeting people en route. Thanks all!!

Steve Goldstein
24-Feb-2011, 09:46
Did you have any issues crossing the borders (in either direction) with all that gear?

Richard K.
24-Feb-2011, 09:57
Did you have any issues crossing the borders (in either direction) with all that gear?

None whatsoever, except, they now make you get off and struggle with ALL of your luggage at Niagara Falls, Ontario upon returning to Canada by train to go to inspection. They could at least provide carts for those (like me!!) who need them due to age, infirmity or over-packing! THAT was excruciating.

Mark Sampson
24-Feb-2011, 10:06
Post some photos when you've finished them.

Drew Wiley
24-Feb-2011, 10:10
That road to the Racetrack is one of the better ones. Wait till you get further in.
Glad you had a good time, however. It's wonderful country.

Vaughn
24-Feb-2011, 11:04
I hope they don't pave the road to the race track -- The road condition acts as a filter -- a large mesh one, granted, but it keeps some of the idiots out!

I was going to drive up to Eureka Valley from Death Valley, but decided that my rear tires did not have enough tread to chance it...a couple sharp rocks could have done them in (I was being very conservative -- 20 years ago I would have taken the chance!) Too much tread to replace, though. Next time I'll try to have newer tires.

Glad you had a great trip. Perhaps we'll meet out there someday.

Vaughn

Richard K.
24-Feb-2011, 11:26
Post some photos when you've finished them.

This will take a few weeks but I'd like to...

That road to the Racetrack is one of the better ones. Wait till you get further in.
Glad you had a good time, however. It's wonderful country.

That it is, that it is! :)

I hope they don't pave the road to the race track -- The road condition acts as a filter -- a large mesh one, granted, but it keeps some of the idiots out!

It didn't keep ME out :)

I was going to drive up to Eureka Valley from Death Valley, but decided that my rear tires did not have enough tread to chance it...a couple sharp rocks could have done them in (I was being very conservative -- 20 years ago I would have taken the chance!) Too much tread to replace, though. Next time I'll try to have newer tires.

Glad you had a great trip. Perhaps we'll meet out there someday.

Vaughn

Eureka is also on my next time list. Maybe meet up next March or Feb? That would be great...

John Jarosz
27-Feb-2011, 06:02
Would you do the train next trip?

I went to Bodie over 30 years ago. We mentioned to the ranger about the 10 miles of washboard road. He said that it was left that way for exactly the reason mentioned above. And for the people that did choose to make the trip the road would "slow them down" and get them into the mindset of a place where there is no time.

Everything on this earth does not need an Interstate highway passing adjacent.

John

Fred L
27-Feb-2011, 10:14
...Everything on this earth does not need an Interstate highway passing adjacent.

^ This !

Richard M. Coda
27-Feb-2011, 10:51
It was nice to meet you, Richard. Maybe next trip we can actually photograph together.

mentalcrisis00
28-Feb-2011, 13:06
Richard K,

It's nice to hear you made it ok, I'm sorry to hear about your trouble with the flu. I had my own problems in Death Valley, 2nd day I sprained my ankle and I still haven't fully recovered from that which is slowing down my development of film.

Next time I think I might drive out there, I don't enjoy taking the plane or dealing with the rental car. Would be nice to drive and see the sites from East to West Coast as well.

I hope we get to see some of your work soon, I'll hopefully be posting some this week however I've been mostly sick in bed the past week and a half so we'll have to see how things go.

I'm planning another trip to DV perhaps next year or this spring if I can get some funds together. I'd love to be out there when the wildlife is abundant and flowers are in bloom.

All the Best - Ray

brianam
28-Feb-2011, 23:05
Sounds like it was a fantastic trip! Yes, do come back and get up to Eureka valley and dunes.. they are amazing. I prefer the road into Eureka from the west; from 395 at Big Pine I think. the north-south gravel road inside DVNP eats tires. (and blew out struts on another person's car when I was last there.)

But I've heard the Saline Valley Road is the real doozy for tires, and overall getting stranded seriously far away from help. Do be careful with that one. (see lots of posts here and everywhere about desert preparedness.)

Jim Noel
2-Mar-2011, 14:32
If the road to Racetrack and Saline Valley was paved more people would use it and the area would be even more desecrated. I don't like to go there anymore because I remember it like it was 30+ years ago.