PDA

View Full Version : Potential silly question...

612tom
24-Feb-2011, 03:13
... with E6 processing and film handling.

Is the E6 process standard across all emulsions? For example if you expose Velvia 50 and Provia 100 both at box speeds, can they be developed in the same batch or are the timings different?

For example, if I'm out on a trip for a few weeks, and take a spare film box to put my exposed sheets in, can I mix different E6 emulsions and take them all to the lab to develop in one go or do I need to separate the different emulsions?

I'll be shooting Velvia 50 and Provia 100. All at box speed. I know N+ or N- I will need to separate but if I put all box speed ones into the same pile, does the lab just run them through the same E6 process for all ISOs?

I know this is a no-go for black and white - I just wondered if I need to separate different emulsions for the lab for E6.

That way I can reduce the number of boxes I need to take along!

Cheers

Roger Cole
24-Feb-2011, 04:06
Yes, it's the same process. I used to routinely run Kodak and Fuji emulsions in the same tank at the same time.

rguinter
24-Feb-2011, 04:08
I often shoot many different E6 emulsions, i.e., Kodak & Fuji, Daylight & tungsten, perhaps as many as 6 different speeds and emulsions at a time. And I always put them in the same box to go to the lab.

I don't know for sure if they should be separated, but I've always put them together and had good results.

Others who process their own may have subtle processing differences due to preference but I've never had that luxury.

For what it's worth.

Bob G.

bob carnie
24-Feb-2011, 07:30
The E6 lab I worked at would encourage clip tests if you were not sure of the process.

Our Standard time was push 1/3 which allowed the photographer to pull 2/3 stop without dramatic colour shift as well as a 1-2 stop push.

by clipping you were assured a decent run with no surprises.
If you were in constant light conditions and ran multiple rolls then a test roll would be used.

The slickest thing were fashion shoots using multiple backs , for every setup a master back was used where frame # was recorded and subsequent rolls of the same set up were collated too. This allowed a couple of master rolls to be processed and then the calls would be made by the lab tech on behalf of the photographer. This worked really well.

I would suggest to be really organized going into a E6 lab with lots of film as to avoid
problems.

612tom
25-Feb-2011, 02:34
Thank for the replies, anything to reduce the number of film boxes I have to take!

Cheers

rguinter
26-Feb-2011, 20:55
Thank for the replies, anything to reduce the number of film boxes I have to take!

Cheers

And in another thread a nice trick was suggested that I intend to try on my next out-of-town trip.

Take a spare pair of cardboards (the ones that come with new film sandwiched between them) and sandwich your exposed sheets between the spares with a snug rubber band to hold the pack together.

Then place the exposed pack underneath the fresh film in your original film box.

Sounds like a good idea to me. And could reduce the number of boxes needed.

Cheers.

Bob G.

612tom
27-Feb-2011, 04:12
And in another thread a nice trick was suggested that I intend to try on my next out-of-town trip.

Take a spare pair of cardboards (the ones that come with new film sandwiched between them) and sandwich your exposed sheets between the spares with a snug rubber band to hold the pack together.

Then place the exposed pack underneath the fresh film in your original film box.

Sounds like a good idea to me. And could reduce the number of boxes needed.

Cheers.

Bob G.

Yep, already on the case with this trick :) I'm going to stick squares of tape on the outside of the cardboard sleeve, 1 square for unexposed, and 2 squares for exposed. So with a little luck I can identify which cardboard sleeve is which in the dark...

Worth a try...

Cheers

AtlantaTerry
22-Sep-2013, 18:30
Think of it this way. It would be a huge pain in the butt for labs if they had to change the timing of their processing machines for each different kind of emulsion that was being sent through.

Most likely, it is the E6 processing that is standard and film is manufactured to work properly with it.

David Lobato
22-Sep-2013, 18:40
Remember to tell the lab there is more than one kind of film in the box you submit. If they pay attention to details they will notice the different notch codes and it's reassuring to them all your film is E-6. A professional lab I used years ago appreciated the notice.