PDA

View Full Version : Stupid newbee question ;)

FredWilson
23-Feb-2011, 18:58
Ok, I give up.
What's a metering back ?

Thanks,
Fred

B.S.Kumar
23-Feb-2011, 19:32
Not a stupid question at all. On a Sinar, a metering back has an opening/housing for a metering probe, like the Sinar Booster for using with Minolta meters. Similar probes are/were available for Gossen and Bron meters.

Kumar

Leigh
23-Feb-2011, 19:33
Ok, I give up.
What's a metering back ?
Not a stupid question at all.

There are backs available for some view cameras that have an exposure meter probe built in. You can move it around, observing its location on the ground glass, to measure the light at any desired point.

It's sort of like a spot meter in reverse, in that it measures at the image plane rather than at the subject.

I've never used one, and only noted them in ads and such, so I can't say exactly what camera(s) use them.

- Leigh

FredWilson
23-Feb-2011, 19:34
Not a stupid question at all. On a Sinar, a metering back has an opening/housing for a metering probe, like the Sinar Booster for using with Minolta meters. Similar probes are/were available for Gossen and Bron meters.

Kumar

Thank you.
That cleared it up..

Best,
Fred

rdenney
23-Feb-2011, 19:38
Based on your earlier posts in other threads, I'm thinking you may desire this extra bit of information:

The Sinar F2 came with a metering back, but the F and F1 came with a standard back that has no slot for a meter probe. Unless you intend to use a Sinar probe meter, there is no advantage to having the metering back.

Rick "in case this factoid is presently relevant" Denney

FredWilson
23-Feb-2011, 19:45
Based on your earlier posts in other threads, I'm thinking you may desire this extra bit of information:

The Sinar F2 came with a metering back, but the F and F1 came with a standard back that has no slot for a meter probe. Unless you intend to use a Sinar probe meter, there is no advantage to having the metering back.

Rick "in case this factoid is presently relevant" Denney

Rick,
I wasn't planning on using a probe meter.
I've just seen the term "metering back" used a lot and didn't know what
it was.

Thanks for clearing that up though :)

Best,
Fred

GPS
24-Feb-2011, 02:29
Ok, I give up.
What's a metering back ?

Thanks,
Fred

Give up?? What happened to your good friend Google?;)