PDA

View Full Version : I have a bunch of Portriga Rapid: Need Suggestions

B.I.S.H.O.P.
23-Feb-2011, 13:04
So, last year I received one pack of 8x10 Portriga Rapid 118 as a bonus with something I bought on fleabay. It made a very strong impression on me and I decided that if I saw any more at a reasonable price, expired or not, I would buy it to play with.

Fast forward to present day. Because of my amazing internet scoring skills, I am sitting on 600 sheets of 118 in 8x10 and 11x14 in grades 1-4. All of it was stored properly, and I have seen no signs of fogging (incredibly), and only a slight loss in contrast.

Any tips for how to work with it to its full potential? I have only used it with Diluted dektol, and/or selectol soft followed by selenium toning.

Any tips, examples, formulas or berations for my foolishness are appreciated!

IanG
23-Feb-2011, 13:16
Ilford ID-78 is a good start it's best with a warmtone developer, Ilford Warntone is the commercial form.

Test it though as all my Agfa warm tone papers have deteriorated to the point of being useless.

If it's pre the removal of cadmium in the emulsion then it may still be OK but a lot less contrasty.

Ian

Bill_1856
23-Feb-2011, 15:43
Lucky you!
Agfa papers are very prone to fogging, so keep it refrigerated.
I love Ansco 130 as a developer. Almost as good as Amidol, and it lasts forever even after mixing. Available from Photographers Formulary.

robertmgray
24-Feb-2011, 17:39
Oh man, let me know if you ever need to get rid of any! I've been searching for some 8x10 Rapid for a couple of months. It's beautiful when used for lith prints.

laurelkc
24-Feb-2011, 18:39
So, last year I received one pack of 8x10 Portriga Rapid 118 as a bonus with something I bought on fleabay. It made a very strong impression on me and I decided that if I saw any more at a reasonable price, expired or not, I would buy it to play with.

Fast forward to present day. Because of my amazing internet scoring skills, I am sitting on 600 sheets of 118 in 8x10 and 11x14 in grades 1-4. All of it was stored properly, and I have seen no signs of fogging (incredibly), and only a slight loss in contrast.

Any tips for how to work with it to its full potential? I have only used it with Diluted dektol, and/or selectol soft followed by selenium toning.

Any tips, examples, formulas or berations for my foolishness are appreciated!

It is wonderful paper. Do you want to get rid of any? My favorite paper of choice. You can increase the lost contrast by mixing Dr. Beers developer. I prefer grade 3 myself but then I was printing on a cold light head(diffusion).

By the way I am in serious need of an aristo or any cold light head for a besseler 45 m so I can continue my craft and expertise. I am not knowledgeable of digital and do not want to be.

laurelkc
24-Feb-2011, 18:39
t is wonderful paper. Do you want to get rid of any? My favorite paper of choice. You can increase the lost contrast by mixing Dr. Beers developer. I prefer grade 3 myself but then I was printing on a cold light head(diffusion).

By the way I am in serious need of an aristo or any cold light head for a besseler 45 m so I can continue my craft and expertise. I am not knowledgeable of digital and do not want to be.

B.I.S.H.O.P.
24-Feb-2011, 22:18
Oh man, let me know if you ever need to get rid of any! I've been searching for some 8x10 Rapid for a couple of months. It's beautiful when used for lith prints.

I actually have WAY more 11x14 than 8x10. Let me do some playing and I will get back to you.

B.I.S.H.O.P.
24-Feb-2011, 22:19
t is wonderful paper. Do you want to get rid of any? My favorite paper of choice. You can increase the lost contrast by mixing Dr. Beers developer. I prefer grade 3 myself but then I was printing on a cold light head(diffusion).

Thanks for the tip! I will get back to you after I play around with it some. I am very fond of it myself

robertmgray
26-Feb-2011, 10:37
If you make any prints, please share them with us. I'd love to see some scans of your results!

B.I.S.H.O.P.
26-Feb-2011, 20:22
Im not really sure how to upload anything bigger, but here is an example. I have a box of a weird postcard size portriga G2 in silk texture. This is how its looking with selectol soft 1:1 and some sodium sulfite added, then selenium 1:3 toned. The negative probably doesnt have the density to be printed on G2, but I like how it turned out all in all. When I get some ansco 130, I will put up a few, but that wont be for at least 6 weeks since im headed out on a trip at the end of the week.