PDA

View Full Version : Aloha from Hawaii

cosseboom
22-Feb-2011, 18:31
Aloha -

I just found you guys through Apug and joined up. I've been shooting 35mm for most of my life and the last couple of years I delved into MF. I bought a cheap Calumet 4x5 camera with a 150mm Caltar lens. I developed a few test shots yesterday and am amazed at the size and detail. I think I've been bit by the LF bug. Aside from a focusing loupe, I need to get a sturdier tripod.

Joel

Brian C. Miller
22-Feb-2011, 18:44
Welcome, Joel! I started in with a Graflex Super Graphic, and still have it and use it. Don't ever short-change your rig, as you'll be able to make great pictures with it for years to come. 4x5 enlargers are cheap, if you don't want to make contact prints.

It doesn't take much to have a lot of fun. If you want really cheap film, there's a thread here about using Xray film. 8x10 can cost 25cents per sheet, and of course you'll need to cut that down for 4x5, for about 6cents per sheet.

Enjoy! :)

Mike Anderson
22-Feb-2011, 20:24
...I bought a cheap Calumet 4x5 camera with a 150mm Caltar lens...

That's what I have (cheap Calumet and 150mm Caltar), it's a great inexpensive setup. And I used to live in Oahu (Kailua Surfriders class of '77).

You'll get lots of good advice about tripods here. Welcome.

...Mike

Vick Vickery
22-Feb-2011, 20:50
Welcome to group therapy! :) Good starting camera and lens that can continue to serve you well for many years. Unfortunately, there are always more things to tempt you...bigger tripods, more powerful loupes, roll film backs, compendium hoods, ad nausium! Nice knowing you when you had some spare money! :) Just kidding...have lots of fun with your new camera!