PDA

View Full Version : Kodak inner 4x5 evnelope light tight ?

Len Eselson
22-Feb-2011, 17:18
Help, need quick answer. Is the inner envelope of Kodak, TMAX 400 light tight.
I inadverdantly turned on the light momentarily, but the inner envelope was unoppened.
Thanks
Len Eselson

Mark Woods
22-Feb-2011, 17:22
Process the top film and see if it's fogged.

rguinter
22-Feb-2011, 17:24
Len:

To my knowledge the inner envelopes on all sheet films are not light-tight.

But you are probably alright with your TMAX because it is nested between two cardboards inside the package and even if a little light bled through at the corners it very likely only impacted the edges (so very) slightly.

I've made all kinds of absent-minded mistakes over the years that ruined film but I think yours was not much of a worry.

Bob G.

lenser
22-Feb-2011, 18:46
I won't swear that they are light tight, but I've often opened the fresh boxes and left the sealed envelopes out in the darkroom for a few seconds prior to lights-out loading. I've never experienced fogging, but again, I may have just been lucky.

If your lights were off again in just a few seconds, I would bet you are okay.

evan clarke
22-Feb-2011, 18:48
Hold one up to the light, they are perforated with pinholes to allow sealing..EC

Noah A
23-Feb-2011, 06:37
In all probability your film will be fine, but I'd think about developing a sheet or two (maybe from the top and the middle) before shooting anything critically important.

However, as I stated in this thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=71838&highlight=film+envelope

The envelopes are not totally light-tight. I checked one day after removing some Portra 400 from its box and there were clear light leaks in the corner of the envelopes. Other forum members accused my film of being mishandled, but it was brand new Portra 400 from a reputable dealer.

I've since opened more boxes (again, new Portra 400 from Freesyle and Calumet) and all of them have at least some leakage in the corners.

But again, your film is most likely fine. If I were shooting something for fun and close to home, I'd probably just use the film. But testing would be in order if you're using it for a paid assignment or anything that can't be re-shot.

Bob McCarthy
23-Feb-2011, 09:07
I wouldnt sweat it. The bag is made with light proof material that will have very small pinholes to let out air or may wear in a corner.

If there is a pinhole, then remember your days of shooting with a pinhole camera. The exposures were very long time wise.

It is more than likely the hole was very tiny. Light would have to go from lamp to film through the pinhole in a straight line to create any significant exposure. Other than direct light the dark material of the bag will absorb indirect bouncing light.

I think, burning the top sheet is good advise if its a critical shot. Otherwise I would not be concerned.

An option is to remove film from the kodak inner bag (in a dark room of course), putting the film into another (like an Ilford plastic inner), and reboxing. That way you can investigate the bag for significant holes.

bob