PDA

View Full Version : Compound shutter/aperture - I fixed it!!

Emil Schildt
22-Feb-2011, 07:51
:cool:

yeah.. I actually - for the first time ever - succeded in repairing an old large Compound shutter. Actuallt the problem was more the aperture..

A couple of the blades were loose, and that clearly affected the shutter too (apart from looking quite arty by them selves...)

I opened the shutter and went on the back - opened that too, and here they all were... In a mess..

So I gently tried to put them back together - went on the net, only to read the obvious: "this is a tricky buisness"... - and back again.. and again - and again..

The first many blades are easy enough to put back, but when I had to fit a blade in the little hole under an allready fitted blade, then the trouble begins!

It is NOT for people with shaky hands!!

It took me 3 hours (!!!) and about 5 trys, but then suddenly they were all in place..

Gently I screwed the whole thing back in place again, and look and behold: The shutter problems (non working T setting and so on) suddenly worked!!

so now I have a perfectly (seemingly) working shutter to the old and beautiful Heliar it came with..

Just wanted you to know. it can be done by amateurs - if you dare.

A little proud of my self today!:rolleyes:

Scott Davis
22-Feb-2011, 07:55
I wish you had posted this last week! I sent a Compound shutter off to SK Grimes for a CLA and some other stuff because I was having some of the very same problems - shutter speeds were inconsistent and B/T were not working. Could have saved myself $150 give or take.

Congrats on the job, though!

Emil Schildt
22-Feb-2011, 07:55
a few images.

(first one is not my fingers... it's from SK grimes site - just to let you see the trouble...)

the a mess at my table..

then the finished aperture..

The final one is how it looks now.

Emil Schildt
22-Feb-2011, 07:58
I wish you had posted this last week! I sent a Compound shutter off to SK Grimes for a CLA and some other stuff because I was having some of the very same problems - shutter speeds were inconsistent and B/T were not working. Could have saved myself $150 give or take.

Congrats on the job, though!

me too - or even sooner.. but then again, I just noticed the problems with this one last night...

But I have several other non working compound shutters I can practice on..:o

Tim Deming
22-Feb-2011, 12:43
Nice job!

In my experience, resetting aperture blades is the most time-consuming job in fixing shutters. I've found that in some cases, coating all the blades with a light oil helps a lot when re-assembling -the blades will stick together, making them less prone to fall out or move around once you've gotten most of them back in place. The oil is easily washed out with hexane or lighter fluid once you've reassembled everything.

cheers

Tim

Emil Schildt
22-Feb-2011, 13:48
Nice job!

In my experience, resetting aperture blades is the most time-consuming job in fixing shutters. I've found that in some cases, coating all the blades with a light oil helps a lot when re-assembling -the blades will stick together, making them less prone to fall out or move around once you've gotten most of them back in place. The oil is easily washed out with hexane or lighter fluid once you've reassembled everything.

cheers

Tim

thanks Tim - good to know - it was a hazzle...