PDA

View Full Version : C-41 mottling or what???????

ignatiusjk
21-Feb-2011, 15:24
I just got some 4x5 color negs back from the lab I use and noticed some pretty significant mottling in the sky portion of the pictures.Could it be the effect of using cheap polarizer filters? I've got to find another lab this has happened before.I'm 90% sure it's mottling,their agitation must be to low.What gives???

olbullett
21-Feb-2011, 15:49
Does the mottling have a pattern?
Could be they are using SS film hangers in tanks and they are actually agitating too much and causing streaks across the film where the holes are in the film hangers.
Their chemisrty could be shot as well.

Filmnut
21-Feb-2011, 16:13
Any chance of doing a scan of one of the affected negs? It depends on their equipment, but likely you're right. If they use gas burst, the pressure could be too low.
Keith

Greg Blank
21-Feb-2011, 17:24
Well without examples its hard to say. You do know that storing film in a three piece box without the film inside the foil envelope can transmit humidity through the box and therefore cause the sheets to stick together right? :)

I just got some 4x5 color negs back from the lab I use and noticed some pretty significant mottling in the sky portion of the pictures.Could it be the effect of using cheap polarizer filters? I've got to find another lab this has happened before.I'm 90% sure it's mottling,their agitation must be to low.What gives???