PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have an older (rectangular silver rail) Toho?

John Schneider
21-Feb-2011, 13:44
I just received a camera that I bought off eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=190501461622&si=NLzaIbMuDGl9QmTiwKSox52CZDI%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT ), which looked almost like a Toho. Now that I have it in my hands I can say that it is definitely a Toho; according to Jeff at Badger Graphic it’s the older version with a silver, rectangular rail without gearing. There is a third standard which carries the focusing gear, like the adjustment system on long vernier and digital calipers. Base tilt in now about the rail centerline, rather than above. Swing is easier than the latest model, and overall I find it to have a smoother feel than the all-black model which I owned for a while.

The only disadvantage is the one-piece, 12” long rail. I’d like the opportunity to use something a bit longer. Does anyone have this camera with a longer rail, or know of a source for the extrusion that Toho almost undoubtedly used for the rail? I could make such a rail, but for once I’d like to buy rather than make.

John Schneider
22-Feb-2011, 15:41
FWIW, with some more searching I found that this camera is a model FC-45A, and came with either a 300 or a 400mm rail. Here is a picture of it from a Roger Hicks book:
http://books.google.com/books?id=dar6CB_YG4wC&pg=PA98&lpg=PA98&dq=toho+fc-45a&source=bl&ots=mTXE0Zzg26&sig=3RYWSO-HrTpXLes9-Lv-QAyYM_8&hl=en&ei=NTZkTdXBH5K0sAOBsLzpBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CEMQ6AEwBzgK#v=onepage&q&f=false

myoptic
22-Feb-2011, 17:41
The 45a that you bought (I put a bid in I think) seems to have its focusing rail lying on its edge (vertically) instead of on its side (horizontally). Can you verify that? Awefully nice camera, congratulations.
You could try Badger Graphics, as they carried the older model, and now the newer one as well. Maybe they have old stock or can source an extension for you.