PDA

View Full Version : Just dropped a lens...hard

Ari
20-Feb-2011, 16:13
I dropped a lens this afternoon.
It was, I thought, attached to my camera, which was resting on a table. When I picked up the camera, the lens went the other way, hitting the wood floor and rolling a bit.
It has a nasty-looking dent in the filter ring, but otherwise survived.
I quickly shot three sheets of film and processed them; I'm waiting for them to dry, but a quick look at the film showed a nice, sharp image.
If the film looks good, is there anything I should be worried about in the days to come?
Thanks in advance.

Gem Singer
20-Feb-2011, 16:20
Doesn't seem to be anything to worry about with the glass or the shutter.

However, kiss the future resale value goodbye.

Brian C. Miller
20-Feb-2011, 16:39
Send the lens in for repair to get the filter ring realigned. Yes, it will reduce resale value, but the lens will be fine. I bought my Pentax 75mm 645 lens repaired after damage like that, and it's always been fine.

You were planning on using the lens for the rest of your life anyways, right? ;)

Professional
20-Feb-2011, 16:47
Ouch!

It happened to me twice but with digital, hope this will not happen to me in film as well.

Ari
20-Feb-2011, 17:34
There should be no resale; it's a 1971-ish Super-Angulon 121mm, a real jewel of a lens. Now it looks like a one-eyed Ford ;)

Preston
20-Feb-2011, 18:13
Jeffrey Sipress, a member here, made a similar repair to a 210mm Symmar-S for me. He's a precision machinist, and knows his stuff. You might try e-mailing, or sending a PM and ask if he can help you out. He is located in CA.

--P

Ari
20-Feb-2011, 18:14
Thanks, Preston; I may eventually do that.

Roger Thoms
20-Feb-2011, 19:11
The first lens I bought had a dented filter that had been straighten. Been fine for 14 years now. So if your film test turn out good I wouldn't worry. For me it's important to be able to install filters so I'd get the ring straighten out.

I did have a lens fall out when I inadvertently moved the lens board lever when changing bellows on my Sinar. Luckily I have an Alpina and the lens landed on the monorail which is flat on top. Since then I keep a small strip of gaffers tape on each side of the board just in case.

Roger

lenser
20-Feb-2011, 20:05
Ari,

It's not completely out of the question that one of the elements or groups has been knockout of alignment even though you initial tests look okay.

To be sure, you might want to tape a newspaper to the wall, light it evenly, set up the camera so that the view is nothing but print and that the back is absolutely parallel to the wall and run a couple of test shots that way. Check the four corners of the negative with your best loupe and if all the type looks sharp, no problems.

matthew blais
20-Feb-2011, 21:27
I bought one of those filter ring/dent repair tools on ebay for about $22...works fine.

Ari
21-Feb-2011, 01:11
Ari,

It's not completely out of the question that one of the elements or groups has been knockout of alignment even though you initial tests look okay.

To be sure, you might want to tape a newspaper to the wall, light it evenly, set up the camera so that the view is nothing but print and that the back is absolutely parallel to the wall and run a couple of test shots that way. Check the four corners of the negative with your best loupe and if all the type looks sharp, no problems.

Excellent idea, thanks.
And I don't use filters, so that's not much of a concern; just want to make sure that the lens is only hurt on the outside.
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.
Ari

Michael Kadillak
22-Feb-2011, 12:54
Remember that anytime a dent to the metal edge of a lens is attempted to be repaired, there is an inherent risk that damage to the glass elements could occur because of the inherent need to apply force. That is why I would recommend letting the experts handle the repair.

Ari
22-Feb-2011, 21:37
Remember that anytime a dent to the metal edge of a lens is attempted to be repaired, there is an inherent risk that damage to the glass elements could occur because of the inherent need to apply force. That is why I would recommend letting the experts handle the repair.

There's no chance that I will be performing the repairs. None. :)
This is such a great lens that I will be sending it to get checked, repaired if deemed necessary, by the repairman.

Ash
23-Feb-2011, 03:21
If the lens disassembles it may be possible to get the dent out by using a correct sized filter ring and place it over while tapping the dent out. This way you should eventually get it back to round.

lenser
23-Feb-2011, 03:33
Ari,

Tapping out the dent may move the ring out of any possible field of view problems, but it is highly unlikely to restore any threads to being able to hold a filter....probably it would damage threads that at this point are not damaged and unless you have a same radius mandrel form with which to mold the shape with the hammering, will probably be far from an accurate continuous curve.

There are vises (sometimes a good local camera store keeps one handy for just this kind of event) with rounded 'jaws' that operate in reverse to gently expand the ring back out to round. You may have to apply it at several points to completely fill out the dent, but it works with gentle pressure to at least approach a true round without causing damage to the threads.

Still best left to a pro.

Frank Petronio
23-Feb-2011, 05:31
Why bother, it is a 40-yr old 121mm and he doesn't use filters? Use it well and now you have a lens you don't have to worry about, it may set you free!

E. von Hoegh
23-Feb-2011, 08:32
Back in the previous millenium, I was lent a 180 convertible symmar with a filter ring dent. As compensation for the use of it, I removed the dent. Using the lens I found it had built in horizontal Scheimpflug which I traced to a non-parralel situation in the shutter - the shutter itself had been distorted by being dropped.

I wouldn't touch a lens mounted in shutter that had a dent or had had a dent removed for just this reason unless I had the option of returning it all costs refunded.

Just my two cents.

BrianShaw
23-Feb-2011, 08:35
Why bother, it is a 40-yr old 121mm and he doesn't use filters? Use it well and now you have a lens you don't have to worry about, it may set you free!

I have a couple of lenses that I got for bargain prices that have dented front rings. It has never affected the quality. Since I intend to use and probably not resell I couldn't care less. I was set free!

matthew blais
23-Feb-2011, 08:42
Ari,

Tapping out the dent may move the ring out of any possible field of view problems, but it is highly unlikely to restore any threads to being able to hold a filter....probably it would damage threads that at this point are not damaged and unless you have a same radius mandrel form with which to mold the shape with the hammering, will probably be far from an accurate continuous curve.

There are vises (sometimes a good local camera store keeps one handy for just this kind of event) with rounded 'jaws' that operate in reverse to gently expand the ring back out to round. You may have to apply it at several points to completely fill out the dent, but it works with gentle pressure to at least approach a true round without causing damage to the threads.

Still best left to a pro.

The tool I have from ebay has filter grooves in it that also 're-groove" as it spreads.

Don Dudenbostel
23-Feb-2011, 09:41
I know your pain. I dropped my 121 SA on a concrete floor and broke two elements, warped the shutter and destroyed the mount.

Ari
23-Feb-2011, 17:21
Lenser, I wouldn't even try repairing a Grafmatic; the lens is safe from my bear claws :)
I'm out of town, but when I get back, I'll see if all the lens elements are still true by shooting a newspaper strip.
If it's good, then indeed, I have been set free!
Btw, it looks like the Keith Richards of lenses now.

GPS
24-Feb-2011, 02:21
If the lens disassembles it may be possible to get the dent out by using a correct sized filter ring and place it over while tapping the dent out. This way you should eventually get it back to round.

You could hardly do anything more stupid to the lens than this. Never ever try to repair a dented lens rim by tapping it. It only adds further shocks to the lens already under sever shock once. Lenser is right in applying steady force with a professional tool.

Ari
25-Feb-2011, 10:33
Here's a photo of the lens.
It looks like he went out, got really drunk, hit on the quarterback's girl, and got a mean shiner for it.
http://i53.tinypic.com/4lsfps.jpg

Test later today

Michael Kadillak
25-Feb-2011, 10:44
Here's a photo of the lens.
It looks like he went out, got really drunk, hit on the quarterback's girl, and got a mean shiner for it.
http://i53.tinypic.com/4lsfps.jpg

Test later today

The lens is just tipping his hat at you.

Hope the lens test comes out OK. Lots of supporting metal in the "ding" area so you should be fine.

Photomagica
26-Feb-2011, 23:13
Ari,
Yes - a ding like that has got to be disheartening. Fortunately it was a wood floor. From the photo it looks like if repaired by a pro the ding will come out and filters will work. With a heavy lens like this there is a risk the shutter body has been knocked out of parallel. Your newspaper test should tell the tale. If not too severe this can be repaired as well.
Bill

Ari
27-Feb-2011, 11:11
The results are in, and it's good...for the most part.
The newspaper shows sharpness throughout except the bottom right hand corner.
Is it the lens? I'm not sure.
The problem for me has always been how to align a horizontal plane on the wall with a horizontal plane of the camera.
Vertical is no problem, the torpedo level takes care of that; but how do you align horizontally? Does that make sense? Have I missed the obvious?

In any case, I'll use the lens a few times, check its performance, and when I get my tax return, I'll send it out to check the alignment.
Thanks to everybody who wrote in with friendly help and suggestions.
Here is the newspaper test:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2i7wlc6.jpg